Is This Really a Test?

Shoji, Nozomi and I entered the colloseum and looked around. There were tons of people eagerly waiting. The front desk had four lines, so the three of us got in one to wait.

"You're number is 357," the guy said to Nozomi. I walked up and held out my grimoire.

"You're number 358," the guy said. Then it was Shoji's turn. "You're number 359."

"All of you ready?" I asked them and they nodded.

"We're going to get into the Magic Knights for sure!" Nozomi said, clenching her fist. "I'm not going back home to become the chief of a unknown village."

"Guys," Shoji said in a whispering tone. He was looking around at all the people. "Listen." Nozomi and I did.

"Are you kidding me?" a girl said.

"They're just commoners," another girl said.

"What are commoners doing here?" a boy asked. The whispering kept going, and I looked at people.

"So what if we're commoners?" I asked them. "We have just as much right to join as you!" Just then nine people walked onto a balcony.

"Oh my gosh!" Nozomi exclaimed in a high pitched squeal. "All the squad captains in one place!?"

"This happens every year," Shoji whispered.

"There's that Asta kid next to the Black Bull captain," Nozomi said, pointing with her finger. I looked and saw a huge man with a cigarette in his mouth. Asta was next to him.

"And that other kid next to the Golden Dawn captain," Shoji hissed. Yuno was there, too.

"Welcome, everyone!" the Golden Dawn captain said. "As you all know, this is the Magic Knights test. We are here to give you a series of tests that will prove if you are skilled enough to join the Magic Knights. Here is your first test." He pulled out his grimoire and brooms appeared next to us. "Simply float on your broom and you pass. Brooms are the main transportation for us, so make sure you don't mess up! Begin!"

People started floating on their brooms. Some people shot up and then fell, some simply hovered a few feet off the ground. I was able to soar higher than most people, and saw Nozomi and Shoji with me. Shoji was standing on his broom like Yuno. Nozomi soared around the other participants and smiled, encouraging them. All the captains watched us as we failed, succeed and did the in between.

Second test was making a see grow. It was simple to just pour some magic power into the seed to make it sprout into a flower. Passed. Third test was shooting at a moving target. Passed. Fourth test was making a shape with your magic. Passed. Finally, the last test.

"We will have you partner up and fight one another," the Golden Dawn captain said. "You must both be defensive and offensive. Choose your partner wisely." I looked around and partnered with a nearby noble girl. She seemed like she would fall over if touched. "Don't worry. There are nearby medics for any injured mage, so don't hold back!"

The first fight began. One by one, mages won and lost. Nozomi didn't have a hard time beating her opponent. Shoji didn't either. Then it was my turn. I stared at the girl, and she made the first move. A fire ball hurtled towards me. I used my Lightning Magic to block. I then took a deep breath. Another fire ball was coming towards me, but I flipped to my Ice Magic spell and cast it. The fireball disappeared, but there were more arrows. I had aimed them at her feet and arms so she couldn't move. I won.

"Nice," Nozomi whispered as I walked passed her. The battles continued, but I was just waiting for my results.

"That concludes the Magic Knights Exam!" a mage called. "Now then, when I call your name, step forward. If a captain raises their hand, then you will belong in their squad. If more than one captain raises their hands, you will get to choose which squad you wish to be in. If no captain raises their hand, then try again next year."

"Alright," I muttered, inhaling. "It's time."

"Number 1!" the mage called. "No hands? Alright! Number 2!" It went on and on, some people getting one hand, other getting two. No one got more than two hands until person number 232. It was the girl I fought. I hadn't paid any attention to her before, but she got three hands raised for her. "Three hands? Choose one, number 232!" The girl did, and the mage continued. The numbers kept going and going, until Nozomi finally got called. "Number 357!" Nozomi stepped forward. "Any hands?" Five hands. The Crimson Lion, Blue Rose, Black Bull, Coral Peacock and Praying Mantis.

"I choose Black Bull!" Nozomi called.

"Number 358!" the mage called and I stepped forward. There were gasps heard throughout the colloseum. All nine captains put their hands up. I stared at them wide eyed. "You must choose one, young lady."

"Okay," I said. I scanned each captain, trying to see their power. Of course, Golden Dawn would be the ideal squad, I also wanted to be with Nozomi. "Alright. I've decided. I choose Golden Dawn!"

"Alright," the mage called. "Next is Number 359!" Shoji stepped forward and three hands went up. Crimson Lion, Black Bull and Azure Deer.

"Crimson Lion," Shoji chose immediately. "I chose Crimson Lion."

"Alright," the mage called. He then started calling more numbers until everyone got their results.

"That concludes this years Magic Knight Exam!" the Golden Dawn captain shouted. "All recruits must meet with their captains now! Farewell, my fellow mages!"

I smiled at Nozomi and Shoji as we walked towards each other. I put my hand in the middle and looked at them.

"Good luck, you two," I said. "Whatever comes our way, we will remain friends. I bid you goodbye only for now."

"Yeah," Nozomi said, putting her hand on top of mine. "We may not be related to you, Shoji, but if you need something, just send a letter."

"I will," Shoji said, putting his hand on top of Nozomi's. "I hope you two do the same. We will always meet on any free day, got it?"

"It's a promise," I said, looking at our hands.

Nozomi Amachi(16) - Light Magic, Healing Magic - Black Bull

Nanami Amachi(15) - Lightning Magic, Healing Magic, Ice Magic - Golden Dawn

Shoji Yangi(15) - Wind Magic, Creation Magic - Crimson Lion

Asta(16) - ??? - Black Bull

Yuno(16) - ??? - Golden Dawn