[Chapter 28]: Long road ahead

Start from the beginning

Todoroki nodded and waited for you to pull up a chair beside him.

"Good job in your last match." You smiled softly. "You're... really cool..." A blush spread across your cheeks. Todoroki glanced at you.

"You thought I was cool?"

"I did! No pun intended." You chuckled.

After a brief moment of silence, the boy reached over and placed his hand over yours.

"Tell me (y/n)... Do you think I should use my fire?"

"I think you should do everything it takes to win." You sighed and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "Your fire is apart of you, it's your power. I don't think there's anything wrong with using it." You ran your thumb across the back of his hand. "But you know Todo, I understand why you hesitate... It's okay to not know all the right answers, it's okay to take time to figure things out."

"... Do you always know what to say?"

The sentiment made you laugh a bit.

"No no, not at all! I think I'm always in a perpetual state of figuring things out myself."

"You too? But you always seem so put together (y/n)." Todoroki said.

"I think I have things together for the most part. But there are often times when people won't tell you how you're feeling."

"Are there times when you haven't told me how you were feeling?"

You hesitated for a moment.

"Of course." Your face softened a bit. "It wasn't out of spite or anything. I just know you have a lot on your plate right now."

"I see. Then..." Todoroki placed his free hand on your cheek, his thumb gently running over your cheek. "Will you tell me everything in the future? I want to know."

God, how can I say no to that face?

"I'll try my best for you."

He smiled at that before leaning forward to plant a kiss against your forehead. It was soft and sweet, everything you had imagined it to be. He pulled away and smirked a bit.

"That made you smile that much?" He chuckled.

"What? I'm a simple girl, I like simple things." You pouted.

"You're strange."

"S-Strange?!" You stammered with puffed cheeks. In defiance, you returned the gesture, pressing your lips to his forehead. You felt the boy shift, a heavy sigh releasing from him. You pulled away and observed the grin on his face.

"...I liked that too..." He shyly said, eyes averting from yours.

"Hmmm? Woooow Todoroki, you're strange." You joked.

"Only when you're around." He scoffed, sitting back up straight in his chair. "Thank you (y/n)."

"Huh? For what?"

"Just for being you."

"For being me?! Oh, I'm not that great Todoroki..." You insisted, waving your hands in front of yourself

"Why would you say that about yourself?" He questioned.

"I mean, I don't know... I guess I just..."

"I think you're amazing."

Your head spun around in circles.

TODOROKI PLEASE MY HEART CAN'T TAKE IT! Am I going to pass out? IT THIS HOW I DIE?! I'm alright with it I guess...

"Are you okay? Do you not feel well?" He sweetly questioned.

"I-I'm alright! Anyways, I should give you some time alone, let you focus on the finals." You got up from your seat.

"(Y/n) wait...Can I, uh-"

"Hmm?"

Todoroki swallowed and fiddled with his fingers. You watched him and immediately knew what he was thinking.

"Did you... want a kiss before I go?" You smiled shyly.

"Eh-" He himself didn't know why something so simple made his heart race. "Yes, that is what I want." He quickly said.

Pfffttt what a dork.

You happily complied, of course, making your way back over and planting a quick kiss against his lips. When you pulled away, you could tell he was disappointed. 

"Again?" He glanced up, completely oblivious to his own puppy dog eyes.

"Todoroki, you do realize that your match is gonna be soon right..."

- - -

It felt like as soon as it had begun, the sports festival came to a close.

In the end, Bakugou had won out against Todorki after his reluctance to use his fire. You weren't disappointed in him. How could you be? He was trying his best to figure everything out and there was no way anyone could hold that against him.

You watched on as All Might placed the silver medal around Todoroki's neck. There was part of you that wished you could have been down there with him. Not because you wanted to win that badly, more so because you just wanted to be there to support him. But even there, from the stands, there was already a different energy emitting from the boy.

And that was all you could ask for.

Well, Todoroki... 

You smiled softly and continued to cheer from the stands.

Looks like we've got a long road ahead.