[Chapter 1]: Cold

"NUH UH. NO WAY IN HELL I'M GONNA BE LATE FOR MY FIRST DAY!" You yelled, frantically yanking your shoes on as you stumbled out the door. After fiddling with your keys a bit you managed to lock your apartment behind you. Sprinting down the street, you took a sharp right towards the train station.

You lived a bit far away from UA in one of the more run-down districts, so leaving early was a must. Of course today of all days your alarm clock had to die.

- - -

"Just a few more blocks!" You panted, starting to see the top of the glass building in the distance. Maybe there was a chance you would make it on time. That was if you could manage to kind your own business for once.

Suddenly, you heard a meek meow from the bush beside the sidewalk. You halted, glancing over at it with narrow eyes before pushing some of the branches down. It was a small black kitten, curled up and wheezing slightly.

Oh come on! Of all days for this to happen...

Your brow furrowed towards him as you got onto your hands and knees, crawling through the dirt in order to get to him. Your once clean uniform was now soiled, hair now tangles with leaves, and face dirtied slightly. You reached down slowly, running your fingers lightly through the kitten's fur.

"Hey there little guy..." You spoke softly, wrapping your hand around his abdomen and pulling him into your arms. Cradling him, you continued to pet him gently. "Are you sic- AHHH CRAP, I GOTTA GET TO CLASS." You practically tumbled out of the bushes with the kitten still in hand.

I don't have enough time to bring him home, and there's no way I can just leave him here...

Dropping your backpack onto the cement, you removed your jacket and formed a little nest above your books. You wrapped the kitten inside ever so gently.

"It's okay little guy!" You smiled warmly. "I'll just call this my first test towards becoming a hero!"

- - -

You were late. Like REALLY late.

"Alright alright... Gotta stay cool (y/n)..." You muttered to yourself nervously, slapping your hands on either side of your face. "I mean I'm not THAT late..." You reassured, pulling the door to class 1-A open quietly.

"You're late." Your teacher called out, peering at you with tired eyes. "Sit."

The entirety of the class took notice, some of them with smiles, others with annoyed glares. And why wouldn't they? You were an absolute mess, looking like you had just rolled out of bed and into a vat of mud.

I guess this isn't really the best first impression...

"You'll be sitting to the left of Todoroki." Aizawa muttered, gesturing to a boy with half white and half red hair. He wore a cold expression, arms crossed as he glared at you. Attempting to ease the chill in the air, you smiled warmly and waved towards him before taking your seat. You placed your bag gently beside your chair.

Shouto Todoroki, better known as the son of Endeavor. You had heard the name a few times since you followed the world of pro heroes so closely.

Of course, they had to put me next to one of the most refined people here...

"As previously stated, we'll be having a quirk apprehension test today. Please change into your gym uniforms and meet me outside." A panic-stricken face came over you.

A test?! Already?! Mom, I'm definitely gonna die here...

The class began to get up and head towards the locker room, but not before the kitten hiding out in your backpack meowed quietly.

Crap!

You frantically glanced around to see if anyone else heard. Luckily, it was only the boy who had been sitting next to you.

"Was that-"

"EXCUSE ME, I JUST HAVE REALLY WEIRD SNEEZES." You boldly declared, adding an uncomfortable chuckle on the end for good measure. The boy just looked at you with a stoic expression. There was an awkward tension in the air that you wanted to dissipate as soon as possible. "I'm (y/n) by the way!" You grinned brightly, holding your hand out to him. Todoroki didn't return the gesture. Rather, he simply got up from his seat and walk off towards the door.

"If you're not here to take this seriously then you shouldn't be here at all." He stated plainly.

Ouch.

Your lips pressed together, feeling your heart strain in your chest a bit. For the past year, you had slaved over getting into UA, training both body and mind. Even with that, you had still barely managed to get in. For another student to claim that you're not taking it seriously hurt a lot. But despite his cruel words, you still called out to him with a smile.

"Just you wait Todoroki, I'm gonna be the greatest hero! You'll see!"

There wasn't any malicious intent behind what you said, just competitive spirit. He paused for a moment and glared back at you without saying a word. When he walked off you finally felt like you could breathe once more.

"Ahhh geez..." You huffed, taking hold of your backpack and pulling it against your chest. "I wonder what his deal is..."

It was that peak of curiosity you couldn't help but get. No matter how much you tried to push down your constant feelings of meddling, they always seemed to make your thoughts race.

Shouto Todoroki... Why are you so cold?