[Chapter 6]: Red-light

"Sorry Todo, I didn't mean to cause you so much trouble..."

"It's fine. I don't have anything else to do right now anyway." He replied quietly, taking a seat next to you on the train.

"Yeah but I don't want your family to worry-"

"They won't." This time his tone was firmer, cold almost.

"Okay..."

The ride to your district was quiet and peaceful, but the air felt somewhat stiff. Todoroki watched the world go by out the window.

"Why do you commute all the way to UA?"
He questioned out of the blue.

"I mean I've always wanted to go to UA. I wasn't gonna let anything stop me!" You grinned. "What about you Todo? You got in through recommendations right? I mean it makes sense with how talented you are!"

"It's probably only because I'm the son of Endeavor." He glared. You didn't say anything immediately back, causing the boy to shift his gaze to you. "What is it?"

"Oh uh, I just kinda forgot you were Endeavors son." You chuckled.

"You... did?"

"Yeah... Sorry, I hope I didn't offend. I just don't see much of a resemblance." Todoroki looked away from you.

"Please don't lie to me."

What?

"I'm not, Todo-" His head snapped back towards you, hand covering the right side of his face. Now his face was only an inch or so from yours.

"Tell me, do you see the resemblance now?" He whispered, warm breath hitting your cheeks. Your eyes locked with his, closely examining its light blue hue. It was beautiful. If you weren't careful you could get lost in it.

"Yep, no resemblance." You reassured. "Sure the color palette is the same, but your gaze is completely different."

Todoroki's mouth fell open slightly. He pulled away to face forward.

"I don't understand what you mean." He bluntly said. You sat back up as well, scooting a bit closer to him in the process.

"It's just kinda a feeling I get. Whenever Endeavor appears on television he always has this cold look in his eyes. Maybe it's just a persona since I don't know him personally..." You shrugged. "But your eyes are warm Todoroki." He tilted his head to look over at you slightly, perhaps seeking elaboration. "I guess I just see the dork who got lost in the supermarket and is going out of his way to carry my groceries home. That's all I mean." You smiled.

"I see." He mumbled, turning back forward. You noticed how his face had softened a bit from your words. "Thank you (y/n)."

"You don't need to thank me for being honest. But Todoroki?" You questioned. "Why do you make that face anytime your family comes up?"

The air became stiff once more as the street lights flashed beside the train car. Your intentions were good despite knowing you may cause him some discomfort. But you had to know. Those days where he would sit quietly or not eat lunch with you sent the gears in your mind turning. It all had to be related, and maybe you could help.

"It's none of your business." His tone had the same ring as when he called you out on the first day of school.

It hurt.

It made it apparent that there was still an obvious distance between you and who you thought of as one of your best friends.

"I understand..." You muttered, casting your gaze away from him as well. You squeezed your hands together tightly. "Just know I'm here if you need anything."

- - -

By the time you had reached the Kabukicho district, it was dark out. You and Todoroki walked side by side through the bustling district.

"Is it always this busy?" The boy mumbled, his eyes darting around to each brightly lit neon sign.

"Well, it is a red-light district." You chuckled. "Night time is really when it comes alive."

"What's a red-light district?"

Oh boy...

"Uhh, you know... Just a place with a lot of red lights..."

"You're lying. Tell me." He insisted.

"... Well, it's basically a place with a bunch of bars, love hotels, and sex-oriented shops..." You awkwardly laughed. Todoroki didn't say anything right away, instead attempting to cover how red his face was with his hand.

"I see... But why do you live here of all places (y/n)?" He questioned.

"A number of reasons..." Your face grew solemn.

"Why?" He repeated.

It's none of your business.

You took the bags from his grasp an walked ahead of him.

"I'm only a few more blocks down. Thank you for escorting me this far Todoroki." You smiled lightly. "I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay..." He echoed back softly, a bit confused by your sudden shift in attitude. You took off from there down the dimly lit street.

Todoroki watched on for a minute before heading back towards the train station. His hands rested in his pockets as he meandered along down the sidewalk, noticing how the air reeked of booze and cheap perfume. He noticed intoxicated men hanging all over scantily clad women near the entrances of the alleyways. Loud yelling mixed with glass shattering echoed across the buildings from bars. It managed to make him feel a bit sick.

This is where you lived. This is what you walked through every day when you went home.

He stood in front of the train station in silence, just wondering if you had gotten to your front door okay. Todoroki wasn't just worried, he was freaking out internally.

"Geez..." He grumbled lowly, unable to stop himself as he turned around and headed back into the red-light district.