[Chapter 12]: Care about you

Ughhhh what happened...?

Slowly your eyes opened. All you could see was dirt and rubble splayed out before you. It took you a moment to realize where exactly you were and what who was underneath you.

"Are you alright (y/n)?" Todoroki mumbled, arms wrapped around you and chest pressed up against your back.

"Uhh..." You stuttered. "I'm fine..."

He released you, allowing you to quickly roll off him and crawl away.

"(Y/n), your face is a bit red. Are you sick?"

You tilted your head at him a bit before resting your fingers on your cheeks. It was true that there was a prominent heat radiating from them.

Huh? That's strange...

"... Maybe I am sick?" You mumbled.

Todoroki stood and brushed himself off. He walked over and extended a hand towards you.

"Well that will have to wait." He stoically said, waiting for you to take his hand.

But you were hesitant. You couldn't help but still worry about where the two of you stood with each other. He was one of your best friends after all.

"You confuse me Todoroki." You muttered, ignoring the offered hand and standing on your own. "Somedays you're hot and you're cold, you're yes and you're no..."

"... Did you just quote Katy Perry?"

"Yeah but that's besides the point Todo." You huffed. "The point is, I don't know what's the real you. You treat me sweetly, act like a huge dork, and try to look after me... And then other days you brush me off or get pissed super easily..." You swallowed thickly and covered your forehead with your hand. "It confuses me. I don't know what I'm doing right or wrong-"

"WATCH OUT!"

You turned swiftly at the cry, eyes being met by a large mans. Before he had a chance to strike, ice had seethed up his legs and across his torso. You stumbled back in shock. It wasn't just the one man, there were multiple villains all stopped in their tracks at once.

"Scatter and kill us huh..." Todoroki huffed, walking past you. "Sorry to say it, but to me it looks like you're just a load of mooks who don't know their quirks from their rear ends."

Whoa, who is this and what have they done with Todoroki...

"Is he r-really just a kid?!" One of the men shuttered. "Ow ow OW!"

"At this rate you guys will gradually succumb to death by necrosis. But since I'm aiming to be a hero, I want to avoid doing horrifying shit like that as much as I can..." Todoroki came before one of the men, his hand extending out to hover before the mans face. "So tell me..." He growled, voicing dropping down lower. "On what basis do you believe you can kill All Might?"

You had never seen him like that. It was another version of him that you weren't sure was real. But you knew he was right. It was essential that you learned as much as you could about the current situation.

"I ain't t-telling you ya damn brat." The man meekly responded.

He's scared... Not of Todoroki but something else.

The fear could see it in his eyes. It would be so easy to just spill the beans and be done with it. You made your way over to Todoroki.

"Can I try?" You questioned.

"No." He growled. "Back up, I don't want you near him-"

"I'm gonna be a hero too. Move aside."

Todoroki glanced over at you before letting out a small sigh and backing off. You took his position before the villain.

"What's your name?" You softly said. The man remained silent, confused as to what it was you were trying to do.

"That's not gonna work." Todoroki huffed.

"Hush."

You moved you palms up to rest against the mans temples. He squirmed in your grip but eventually became still and just watched you.

"What's your name?" You repeated. His eyes softened.

"Ryu... ji..." The man mumbled.

"I see... And how do you believe you can kill All Might?" You continued with a soft lull in your voice.

"That creature they brought... He's strong... Strong enough to stop All Might..."

The creature... He must be talking about that huge monster with the beak.

You removed your hands from the mans temples and turned back to your friend and classmate.

"We have to inform the others. Let's go Todoroki."

"Sure..."

The two of you began to head back towards the central plaza.

"By the way, are you gonna unfreeze them?" You questioned, gesturing back towards the group of villains.

"They'll last until the authorities arrive." Todoroki scoffed in response. "But how did you manage to make him talk?"

"Easy, I got rid of his fear."

"Like why you did for the people back in Kabukicho?"

"Yup, except I just focused on the stress hormone cortisol." You shrugged. "Sometimes it's more effective to take a gentle approach Todoroki." He rolled his eyes a bit at that.

"If he was so scared, he should have just told me..." He scoffed.

"He wasn't scared of you." You chuckled lightly. "He was scared of what the head honcho would have done if he told us their plans. Sooo after making him feel nothing, it was that easy."

"How did you know what he was scared of?"

You paused for a moment at the question and peered to the side.

"I guess after always taking care of people, you just know what they're thinking..." You pondered before shifting to glare at the boy. "Which reminds me, what the hell is going on with you? Because I can't read you at all and I-"

"I'm sorry."

Your eyes widened a bit at his words. Todoroki's face was still, but you could tell he was being sincere.

"I shouldn't have blown up at you like that... I knew you had good intentions, but I just-"

"Apology accepted." You smiled warmly over at him. "I'm sorry too... I shouldn't have done something like that without permission. But you know Todo, I was just worried about you."

He looked a bit taken aback by your comment.

"You were... worried about me?"

"Yup! Because I care about you." You responded nonchalantly.

"I see..." He mumbled. Todoroki took a moment and glanced away from you. "I think I also-"

"Hey! We could probably get a better view of the plaza at the top of this hill!" You called out, eagerly pointing towards the peak of the dirt mound. "Come on!"

Todoroki watched as you sprinted up the hill ahead of him, smiling slightly before finishing his sentiment.

"-care about you."