[Chapter 22]: The right choice

"Listen (y/n)..." Todoroki started, almost instantly freezing up. "The reason I've been so distant lately... I just..."

You continued to wait patiently, eyes soft, mind open. Part of you already had an idea what this was about. Todoroki's expression always made it obvious from how it contorted when one word was mentioned.

Father.

"It's Endeavor, isn't it?" You finally said. Todoroki's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open a bit.

"How did you know?" He muttered.

"I've just paid attention, that's all."

If looks could kill, Todoroki could be a murderer at that moment. His face was dark, darker than you had seen before.

"Endeavor... As you know he's my old man..." Todoroki growled. "The number two hero after All Might. It's a position he's been stuck in for many years."

You shifted against the wall but remained silent.

"My father couldn't best All Might with his own power, so he came up with another plan..." He looked up, locking eyes with you. "(Y/n), have you ever heard of quirk marriages?"

"Quirk marriages?"

"Yeah... They started to become a problem the 2nd and 3rd generation after quirks appeared. Strong individuals would choose a partner and force them into marriage for the sole purpose of passing on a strengthened version of their own quirk those earlier generations were lacking in ethics..." He growled. "With his wealth and fame, he made my mother's family agree to their marriage... All to get his hands on her quirk..."

"That's so twisted..." You stammered, swallowing dryly from just the thought of something so horrendous.

"He raised me as a hero who could succeed All Might... Just to fulfill his own ambition."

Darker.

His expression grew darker.

"I hate it... Being nothing more than a tool for that human garbage!" Todoroki's voice raised, his hand moving up to the left side of his face. "In my memories, my mother was always crying..."

I know... I saw it once, even if just for a moment.

But even in that split second, you couldn't forget that face she made.

"Your left side is unsightly..." He muttered. His voice grew strained. "That's what she said before throwing boiling water in my face..."

Your heart dropped. You had expected something painful, but not this.

"(Y/n)... You asked me what was wrong all those days I acted cold towards you. You asked me many times while we were training why I wouldn't use my left side. I refuse to use that rotten man's quirk... No..." Todoroki's hand fell from his face. "By rising to the top without using it, I'll have denied him everything."

You shuddered at his tone.

"And that's why you called Izuku out... Because of his connection to All Might." You mumbled.

"Yeah..." He huffed. "I owed you an explanation since I've made you suffer from my own personal problems." He shoved his hands in his pockets, about to turn to leave. "But you don't need to concern yourself with it anymore."

You bit your lip at the seemingly cold remark.

What's with that?

"Todoroki." You called suddenly. He paused and glanced over. "Can I tell you something I haven't told anyone?"

The boy appeared a bit surprised by the sudden change in subject, yet he was willing to stick around and talk nonetheless.

"Of course." He insisted, returning to his spot against the wall.

You grinned and shifted once more, a bit more uncomfortable this time. Typically you kept personal matters close to yourself as well, but how could you expect him to be open with you if you could not do the same?

You thought that maybe if it was Todoroki, then it was okay.

"I... don't remember anything about my father."

"What do you mean?" He calmly questioned. "Did he leave when you were young?"

Your brows furrowed and your arms moved up to cross in front of your chest.

"I know from legal documents that he lived with me and my mom up until a few years ago." You grimaced. "It's more like... I try to think back and there's just... Nothing... I asked Ai and Ranka about him, but they won't tell me anything." You audibly swallowed, taking a moment to calm your racing thoughts. "It's frustrating... I don't know how to feel about something I can't even remember."

"That's strange." He commented, instantly concerned with the matter. "Perhaps I could try talking to them? What about your mom-"

"And there it is Todoroki." You smiled softly.

"...What do you mean?"

"You tell me to not concern myself with your problems, yet you yourself would go out of your way for my sake." You chuckled. "I can't say for sure, but it's because you care about me and because I'm your friend... Right?"

Todoroki became silent briefly. He released a sigh, closed his eyes, and threw his head back against the wall.

"You revealed something so personal... simply to make a point?"

"Yup!"

His expression shifted once more. He didn't smile, but the scowl that had infested his face had softened dramatically.

"I swear..." He scoffed, moving off the wall and towards you. "You've managed to make me look like a fool... You really are something special (y/n)..."

Eh?

His hand reached forward to cup your cheek, thumb softly running across your skin and brushing the edge of your lips. The look he gave you was unwavering. Todoroki didn't hesitate when he leaned forward, eyes slowly shutting.

Is he gonna...?

Your back pressed against the wall, hands reaching up to grasp his sweatshirt.

Is it... really okay?

Your lips parted slightly and your eyes subconsciously fell as well.

Is it really okay to let this happen?

Your mind raced and heart fluttered. There was something about his presence that hypnotized you. Perhaps allowing it wasn't the best choice.

But the way his lips felt so soft and inviting against yours made it feel like the right choice.