New Rules

My parents were going to arrive any minute and I tried my best to stand straight and breathe normally. I wore a dark, long-sleeved dress to make sure no one would be able to see the dark bruises that were underneath. 

I felt Clayton put his hand on my shoulder and I realized I had stopped breathing again. I slowly inhaled, ignoring the sharp pain in my abdomen. I grasped Clayton's hand, squeezing it firmly. He knew that after dinner and the celebration we would be pulling my family aside to tell them what is going on and what would be happening in the next couple days. I couldn't leave without telling them what had happened to be, they wouldn't be able to live with themselves. 

There was a knock on the door and I jumped, trying to hide my pain stricken face as my family walked in. 

"Saphyre! We were so worried about you!" She rushed to hug me, but Clayton quickly stepped in front of her saying I was badly bruised. "Oh, I'm so sorry dear! You need to be more careful." She put her hand on her shoulder, giving me a sorrowful look. I smiled the best I could. 

I walked slowly over to my dad who was too busy looking around. He seemed paranoid, yet curious at the same time. I wondered why he looked so tense. I put my hand on his arm and he jumped back, exhaling in relief when he saw it was me. 

"Geez! You can't do that to me!" He yelled. "You heard your mother though." He added before walking past me and into the living room. My gaze followed in confusion. 

"Saphyre!" Jasper yelled holding my mother's special zucchini bread she made for us every Thanksgiving. I walked to him as quickly as I could before hugging his side gently. "Having too much fun without me again?" He chuckled. 

"As always." I smirked taking the bread and leading him into the kitchen. 

Dinner went rather smoothly, except for the fact that Em still wasn't all that fond of me and skipped out. Clayton's dad had most of the pack go to the other side of their land to have a bigger celebration there so things didn't seem too suspicious to my parents. Em went with everyone else. It was all good until my mom asked how I fell and how the trip went. 

"The trip was great, learned a lot of new things. I just slipped off some rocks when we were going round a narrow corner. It had snowed the night before and made the ground really slippery." I said shrugging it off. 

"We are glad to have you back whole." My dad said. He kept staring at Clayton's dad. 

"So how exactly did you and Clayton meet? Are you classmates? Are you dating?" My mom winked at me. I felt my cheeks turn bright red as I looked at Clayton who was having a hard time swallowing his food. 

"Yeah we are classmates and dating I suppose." I said calmly. 

"He is quite good looking." I choked on a piece of turkey in surprise. 

"Mom! That's gross!" Jasper yelled in disgust. He pushed his plate in front of him. My mom rolled her eyes and pushed the food back in front of him. Clayton tried gently patting my back to help, but instead I just cringed in pain. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" My dad asked looking at me suspiciously. I swallowed the piece of turkey and nodded my head, drinking a glass of water. 

After everything was cleaned and my parents had the chance to converse with Clayton's parents I asked all of them to follow me into a conference room with Clayton and I. They all sat down in front of Clayton and I. I took a deep breath. 

"Remember when I was taken?" I asked quickly. 

"Why yes. Why are we talking about this? Are you okay dear? Do you need to go to therapy again?" My mom asked worriedly. I put my hand up to slow her down.