Unexpected Answers

It was Saturday night of the week before Thanksgiving, Clayton and I left at nine am and would return Tuesday afternoon to make sure we wouldn't miss the holiday. However, I wouldn't return home until Wednesday so we could review anything we found. I had made a fake field trip flyer for my parents, saying we were going to New Hampshire for two and half days to hike the White Mountains and do a tally of the different plant species we saw there. My parents were skeptical at first, since I haven't left them since the kidnapping, but with a little begging I got them to say yes. 

Clayton had bought the plane tickets and all the arrangements were set up. We would go find Lucian's hideout on Sunday, since we would most likely have to camp out Sunday night. It took me almost a day to get where I was found when I escaped. I was beyond nervous to be going back, but I needed to find out more about Lucian and what he was up to. We all did. 

The plane trip was longer than I remembered, mostly because I was so nervous about sitting with Clayton for ten hours. We talked here and there, but I tried to avoid any conversation that I could. I was grateful for his help, but I needed to keep my distance. 

Werewolves aren't that great on planes, mostly because wolves like to stay on the ground, where they belong. I could feel Lyra feeling restless the entire flight and it drove me mad. 

It was now eight pm eastern time, but five pm here, which gave us plenty of time to set up and get a good nights sleep. We arrived at the hotel and the group of ten of us slowly filed in as pairs. We were to always be paired with someone, except I was told I would be paired with Stef, but Stef wandered off with another fighter. I glared at Clayton as he talked to the receptionist to check us in. He took the two keys and we walked back to the car to drive it in front of our motel room. 

"I thought I was being paired with Stef." I grumbled. Of course he wouldn't let me be in the room with anyone else, he either didn't fully trust them or he was jealous. 

"You really think I'd let you stay with him." He huffed. I threw my hands into the air, it was impossible to have a say in anything we did. I didn't want to be in the same room as him for a reason!

"You just had to make this more difficult huh? Can I just have my own room then?" I glared at him.

"Saphyre no. You know the rules and you're in more danger here than anywhere else." He growled. He started the car and we drove around the motel. I stared out the window in frustration. We had no idea where Lucian had gone after he threatened me in the treehouse. He could still be in Vermont, he could have come back here, or gone to a new location somewhere. 

I got out of the car and grabbed some of our gear, following Clayton to our room 201. Good, we were on the first floor. I thought. I walked into the room and growled, there was only one bed. 

"All the two full beds were filled with everyone else. I'll sleep on the floor if you have such a problem with it." He was annoyed and not looking at me again. I threw my bag into the corner and went to check out the bathroom. It was nothing special, all white floors, walls, shower, and sink. It had a tiny mirror that could barely fit my entire face into it. 

Geez, I thought Alphas were supposed to be rich, I huffed. I knew Clayton chose a crappy motel to make sure we didn't draw any attention to ourselves. There was a pack here in Arizona, and they were not the nicest. They forbade us coming to investigate, saying they didn't want a made wolf on their territory, so we had to sneak in. 

Clayton ordered pizza for all of us that night after everything was unpacked and ready to go for tomorrow. We did a group Skype call with everyone throughout the motel to make sure everything was set for tomorrow and nothing would go wrong. I wasn't really paying attention, I was too busy stuffing my face with my meat lover's pizza and thinking about everything that could go wrong. Once the call was over Clayton set up his bed on the floor and I started to feel guilty.