Cripple: Chapter Ten

Breathe. Don't be nervous. He doesn't matter anymore. Jesse is here. You're safe. Elizabeth thought to herself as she looked at Eric for the first time since she broke their engagement. He had not changed. Same smirk. Same evil glint in his eye that she remember from the night she'd left him.

"Hi Eric or should I say Mr. Collins?, Elizabeth said confidently.

Eric dropped the book he had been looking at and smiled at her. Elizabeth couldn't believe at one time, that smile made her world spin around but now seeing it just made her want to puke. "Hi honey, it's so good to see you."

.Elizabeth looked him right in the eye, "Where's your lovely Mia?"

Eric's smile lessened. "Mia and I are divorced. Honey listen I-". Jesse faked coughed behind Elizabeth getting Eric's attention. "Who is this?", he asked while looking at Jesse.

"Jesse Bennett, Beth's boyfriend.", Jesse answered. Then he kissed Elizabeth's cheek for good measure. It worked too.If looks could kill Eric would have maundered him.

"So it's Beth now huh?", Eric asked Elizabeth sarcastically.

Elizabeth grinned. "Only to my Jesse."

Ms. Cole arrived just then so Elizabeth and Jesse went to their table. "Thank you", Elizabeth told Jesse when they were seated.

Jesse smiled. "Anything for you Bethie girl."

Jesse could not stop thinking about what she had told Eric. My Jesse, she had said. Jesse vowed one day it would be true. He was already hers, but she would be his too.

***

Of course, Erika and her pack of cheer sluts (minus Ashley who had in-school suspension) all went crazy over Ms. Cole's new teaching assistant.

Oh my god! He's flipping hot!!

Wonder how old he is?!

Did you see him just look at me?!

Elizabeth just rolled her eyes and mumbled," If they only knew what I know.

"Mr. Collins" took the class to the library to work on their group projects. He keep trying to get her attention in the hall, but Jesse stayed close by her side and whispered stuff in her ear to make her laugh which pissed Eric off too in the process.

Jesse and Elizabeth chose computer desks that were side by side but more importantly far away from Eric, who was in the front of the room with Erika hanging on him. Jesse and Elizabeth instant messaged each other while working on their project.

Jesse_GCFoofball: So that douche bag is your ex?

E.Morgan: ex fiancée yes

Jesse_GCFootball: wanna tell me about it? Sometimes it's easier to type then to say out loud

E. Morgan: I'd rather tell you face to face. And In private.

Jesse reached down and squeezed Elizabeth's hand but didn't let it go, instead he entwined their fingers. Elizabeth shot Jesse a surprised look. Jesse just shrugged and said, "Best friends hold hands."

Eric walked over to them and leaned his hip on Elizabeth's desk. "Ms. Morgan, I need you to help me in the copy room please."

Great. Elizabeth knew Eric was just using his new position to get her alone. "Sure Mr. Collins.", Elizabeth said sarcastically.

Eric nodded and walk to the copy room that was located just off of the library office.

Jesse turned to Elizabeth and said, "Bethie, I know it's none of my business but, I don't like you being alone with him."