Cripple: Chapter Nine(pic of Eric)

Chapter Nine

The next morning Jesse came to breakfast in a crabby mood. He missed Beth and hated that he couldn't take her to school. He knew she was upset about taking the handicap bus to school because it was like waving an "I'm different" flag in everyone's face.

"Well, what's wrong with you this morning?", his mom asked sitting a plate of French toast and cup of coffee in front of him.

"Thanks Mom." he said as he took a sip of coffee. "Elizabeth's dad grounded from her car and riding with me because she fell asleep and missed curfew last night. He's making her take the handicap bus to school for a week."

Julia sat down at the table beside him. His dad had already left to drop the twins off to school on his way to work, so Julia had some time to relax. " What's so bad about that?"

Jesse stuffed a forkful of French toast in his mouth, "I like us riding to school together. Besides that, you know how hard Elizabeth tries to be like other kids. Taking the handicap bus to her is the same as announcing her disability to the whole school. It's more ammo for Ashley and Erika to tease her with too.

His mom smiled. "You're in love with her."

Jesse didn't deny it. "Is it crazy Mom?"

Julia shook her head. "The heart wants what it wants James. It may be harder then you think with her disability though. Are you sure you can handle it?"

He didn't even hesitate. "I love her Mom. Nothing is going to change that ", he paused for a minute,"When I'm with her, it's like everything makes sense and when I'm not with her I can't concentrate. Whatever life throws at us I'll handle right beside her. The hardest part is not going be dealing with with her disability, it will be making her love me too but I won't give up until she does."

Julia looked at her son. "You are your father's son. Elizabeth can't help but fall for you."

Jesse shook his head. "I don't know Mom. I think Beth has been hurt before. I noticed she's afraid of being a burden or that her disability is going to hold people back. She is always concerned that she is taking me from my friends."

"James.", his mother said,"you should take things slow with Elizabeth incase she has been hurt. Be her friend. Earn her trust first."

Jesse finished his French toast. "Do you and Dad approve?"

"Yes honey. If you really love her and you can handle things then we are happy for you. She's a wonderful girl. Your dad and I both can see that Elizabeth brings out the best in you."

"Do you think Papal Clint and Grandma Sarah would mind if me and a couple friends stayed at the farm this weekend?"

His grandparents lived on a huge farm with chickens, cattle, sheep, goats and a whole stable of horses. The house was huge as well with several extra rooms since it was just them now and their children had grown. Papal Clint had built the house himself when he had married Grandma Sarah. There was even a giant pond for fishing and swimming. Jesse loved it there.

"Your grandparents always love when you go spend time with them. I'll call in a little while and ask them. Julia smiled, "You wanna take Elizabeth to see the horses don't you?"

Jesse grinned. "Yes. She said she wants to ride but doesn't think she can. I want to be the one to help her do it. I'm planning on asking Ryan and Stefanie too. You'd be heading there after the game on Friday."

"Well, you had better get to school." Julia came over and kissed Jesse's cheek. A sneaky smile crossed her face. "Oh honey, I forgot to tell you, your Daddy said not to take your truck. He wants to have the breaks checked so you'll have to take the bus to school."