It's a Date!!!

“You, what?” Yuri asked, furrowing his eyebrows at Viktor. He set the papers in his hands back onto the table and into the mess that was already there. Viktor sat across from him and was twiddling his thumbs, attempting not to ruin what little organization that Yuri had before him.

“I want us to go to couples counseling.” Viktor looked away slightly in his nervousness. “I mean, don’t get me wrong! I feel like we’ve made so much progress on our own in such a small amount of time, but some things I feel like we haven’t addressed won’t be fixed unless we get some outside help.” At the unsure look that appeared on Yuri’s face, Viktor continued. “I know it’s not something that you really want to do. Trust me, I’m not a big fan of counseling either, but I really want to be able to get past the bad things that have happened between us and move forward. I feel like we’re just avoiding the heavy stuff and hoping that it will resolve itself. That will more than likely blow up on us in the future and I just… I want to be able to move forward without having to worry about when that might happen. I want our relationship to be healthy and not like we’re dancing around each other out of obligation. I want it to be more real than it is now. There is still some trust issues between us, even if we don’t show them very well. I just… I don’t know, I’m rambling, but can you at least think about it for me? Or even for yourself?”

Yuri drummed his thumbs against the table and bit his lip. He knew that Viktor was right, and that there was things that they definitely needed to work on, but was this really the only way? Did they really need to secure help from the outside to make sure their relationship moved forward? A sigh escaped his lips and he ran a hand down his face.

“I get what you’re saying,” Yuri stated after a few moments of silence. “Believe me, I do, but when could we possibly find the time to be able to go out and get counseling? You still have a career that you need to think about, I have a job at the Ice Castle and here at the onsen, and we both have a child to raise that is starting school next week. Those things in of itself already fill all hours of the day. You can’t tell me that you just brought this up without thinking about the scheduling issue.”

Viktor popped up at that, pulling out his phone and scrolling through it. “I have thought about it. I wanted to be able to cover the basis of this with you so that way you might consider it.” He turned his phone around and handed it to Yuri, who began to read through the improvised schedule on the screen. “I’ve already been in contact with a counselor in Tokyo and told her about my interest in possibly setting up an appointment with her. She gave me the times and days of the week that she was available. The best time for us, based on our schedule, would more than likely be around two o’clock. That way, depending on the path of my career and your job at the onsen, we’d both have time to work in the morning hours and then get a bite to eat before heading to the counseling session. Then, from two to three, we’d sit through the session and be back in time to be able to pick up Yalenchka from school. After that, you’d have time to give your afternoon skating lessons and I can stay at the onsen and help Yalenchka with homework if he has any or I’ll be there just to be the parent figure while you’re away. Maybe I’ll even bring Yalenchka to the rink and he can have some fun and I can help you teach the students.”

“Ah,” Yuri cuts in, “but here lies the problem.” Yuri sets down the phone and looks at VIktor, who furrows his eyebrows.

“I thought I had that planned out pretty well,” Viktor mumbled, leaning back in his heat and biting at his thumb.

“You do have it planned really well,” Yuri agrees. “But that isn’t the problem. You just planned… in the context of what you think our careers are going to be.”

“Think they’re going to be?” Viktor questioned, looking aghast. “What do you-”

“Let’s face it, Viktor,” Yuri whispered solemnly. “You’re thirty-three, going to be thirty-four in just a couple of months. You can’t tell me that your body isn’t feeling the tax of skating for over two and a half decades. I know your knees have been hurting more lately and that your lower back has been killing you, which is why you’ve been spending more time in the hot springs.” Viktor looked away, guilt clear on his face. “I’m sorry, Viktor, but I think you really need to consider your health a little more. I don’t want you to just charge off into the season and get yourself hurt just because you want to skate one more year. If you think you can go another year, then fine, that’s your call, I just wanted you to know what I was thinking.”