25, The Falcon Flies

The entire wave of people were all focused on one person, Britta recognized him immediately

"He's the Night Falcon." She whispered.

"I've seen him before." Said Diana. Suddenly she clutched Brittas hand, "The Strange Man?" She asked in a choked tone.

Britta nodded, some of her childhood fear returning. Without realising it, she gripped Micahs hand as The Night Falcon began to speak.

"People of the Empire." He began. "I have come to liberate you from the traitor which is your leader." Civilians had gathered, and were listening also, but Britta's mind trailed off as he continued to talk about his power over them.

How could she stop people from being controlled before they got the Aurea? She could imagine shielding people, or controlling them before the Aurea had a chance, and gently reached out. She had targets in mind. Her friends when they came, Micah, Mable and the Emperor as well. Britta knew she couldn't handle them all.

Diana, we need to shield the others minds from the Aurea.

How?

The Voice, spread it over them, you take Mable and the Emperor-

And Ed.

Okay, and I'll take the rest of our friends and Micah.

Got it.

They both reached out to people, and Britta managed to whisper what was happening to Micah. She noticed then she was still gripping his hand tight, but though she let go, he didn't.

Breathing out, she shut her eyes and felt his familiar presence clearly. She imagined a shield protecting him from the Aurea – or rather, the person who was using it. She felt his fear as if it was her own, and hoping he wouldn't notice, she pushed some of her own strength into him. She didn't know if he needed it, but it seemed to make it better.

He looked at her, meeting her eyes and holding her gaze until she realised suddenly the Night Falcon had stopped talking. She ignored the feeling in the pit of her stomach, and concentrated on the task at hand.

Everyone began to talk among themselves, and she spotted her friends coming towards them. Remembering how things had been at the training camp, she pulled her hand free of Micahs. Biting her lip, she made sure everyone was there.

"Hi." She said, "Ed and Thom know, I'm Bren, this is Duane." She said, and left Diana and them to assure the rest it was true. Some of her nervousness was fading. "We don't have much time, you all heard what he said, we have to stop him. Me and Diana-Duane-can stop you from being controlled by the Aurea. Micahs helping us. In case you were wondering."

"So you want us to stop a man who has control over all these people?" Said Thom flatly.

"Yes."

"It's pointless. He can control them even if he can't control us. And why would we want to stop him anyway." He said harshly. Before Britta could answer, he had disappeared into the crowd.

"He's.... Changed." She remarked. "But are the rest of you in?"

"To do what?" Neal asked uncertainly.

"We have to get hold of the Aurea, then Micah has a chance to persuade everyone that what they're doing is wrong and for the wrong reasons."

"The Night Falcon is too strong as it is." Clyde said. "I think Thom's right. Sorry Bren."

"Wait." Britta said, grabbing his arm before he could leave. "Don't you see? So much of his power is attached to one object. If we can get that object, he is just a person. A cold, heartless, person."