5, A Dagger, a Bow and a Decision

The rain poured down. The cave sheltered them from a late spring downpour which felt as though someone was emptying a washbasin over them. Britta was huddled in her blanket, her keen eyes trained on the sky for any lightening.

There! A flash, so bright that it split the sky in half. It had struck the skeletal tree; she couldn't see it, but she knew. She heard a gasp from behind her. Diana had woken, and her eyes reflected the small amount of light coming from the black, cloudy sky. Britta felt a hand on her shoulder, and then Diana's warmth at her side.

"It hit the tree." Britta whispered.

"I know. I felt...." Diana's voice trailed off, and she reached behind them.

She brought out the money box her fingers stroking the polished wood absentmindedly. Distractedly, she pulled it open.

"It's not what I expected from Mistress Core." Commented Britta. "I'd have thought she'd use something more.... decorative."

"There's only-" Diana paused, taking a deep breath. "-only one gold piece inside. I thought there'd be more, but...." Her voice trailed off, and Britta looked in to see what she meant.

"It's okay. We'll earn more."

"I was hoping we'd get a better start." Said Diana, her eyes glinting angrily in the half-light.

She put it down roughly, jolting it on the floor. Britta quickly picked it up herself. The base of the box had been jolted out of place. Where the bottom was supposed to intersect with the side there was a small gap where something glimmered beneath.

"Look," She whispered pointing excitedly at the box.

She wriggled the base until it suddenly came loose and slid out. Britta placed the base carelessly on the floor and Diana crowded closer to get a good view. Nestled tight inside it were several items. The first item was a ring, deep green and set in a silver band. The next was a locket, then there were two bracelets, and last a torn piece of paper which looked like it had been left outside, even though the writing on it was not weather worn. Diana squinted to read it.

"It's for us." She said, quietly. Her eyes lit up in wonder. "Britta and Diana." Diana began to read. "I know you will find this. I've asked Mary to give it to you. She understands the importance of this, and I know she will keep you safe. You will grow up never know me except from this letter. I hope it will be enough.

The items I have hidden are dear to me, the ring and the locket, there is a pair of them, their partners belonging to your father. Leave them in the box, they are for him. The bracelets are yours; the jade (green) is for you, Britta, like your eyes. The ruby is for Diana; it matches your spirit, I know that you will keep Britta safe. Find your father, it should be safe to return now. I can't tell you who he is, least this is read by others.

Just know that the very mountains are a danger to your lives."

"Who's Mary?" Asked Britta.

"Wait. I can't read the bottom." Said Diana, passing the scrap of paper to Britta.

There was a letter or a symbol on it, which looked familiar, but though Britta strained to remember if or when she had seen it, she couldn't.

Diana was fingering the bracelet with the small red stone. The string was finely woven but tough. It was such a pure white that it almost glowed. The string coiled neatly around their wrists so they stayed in place. The backs of the stones were flat so they were comfortable against their wrists and they were engraved with their names in delicate writing surrounded by a wreath of lines that intertwined. It was strange that such detail was put into a place that was not often seen. They slept with the bracelets on and never took them off again despite the fact that it was not something boys were often seen wearing.