Saved by the Redhead

Loved. I loved Diego.

* * *

ΑfТеr ΤΗΕ Fight

"Twenty." Jane breathed. "Who dealt with the creator?"

"I did." the redhead said coldly.

Jane turned to stare at me with narrow eyes.

"You there," she snarled. "Your name."

I just glared at her.

Jane smiled at me, and suddenly I was on fire. It was like I'd gone back in time to the worst night of my life. Fire was in every vein of my body, covering every inch of my skin, gnawing through the marrow of every bone, with flames on every side. There wasn't a single cell in my body that wasn't blazing with the worst agony imaginable.

"Your name." Jane said again, and the fire dissapeared.

"Bree." I said as fast as I could.

And the pain was back.

"She'll tell you anything you want to know," the redhead growled. "You don't have to do that."

The pain lifted. "Oh, I know." said Jane cheerfully. "Bree?"

"Is his story true? Were there twenty of you?"

"Nineteen or twenty, maybe more, I don't know! Sara and the one whose name I didn't know got into a fight along the way...."

"And this Victoria-Did she create you?"

"I don't know. Riley never said her name. I didn't see that night-it was so dark, and it hurt! He didn't want us to be able to think of her. He said that our thoughts weren't safe."

Jane shot a glance at the redhead, then looked at me again.

"Tell me about Riley. Why did he bring you here?"

I recited Riley's lies as quickly as I could. "Riley told us that we had to destroy the strange yellow-eyes here. He said it would be easy. He said that the city was theirs, and they were coming to get us. He said once they were gone, all the blood would be ours. He gave us her scent." I pointed a trembling finger at the human. "He said we would know when we had the right coven, because she would be with them. He said whoever got her first could have her. "

"It looks like Riley was wrong about the easy part."

She didn't want them to know about her little trip to our creator. I could tell by her happy expression. I played along.

"I don't know what happened." That part was true. "We split up, but the others never came. And then it was so confusing, everyone in pieces. I was afraid. I wanted to run away." I nodded at Carlisle. "That one said they wouldn't hurt me if I stopped fighting."

"Ah, but that wasn't his gift to offer, young one. Broken rules demand a consequence. Are you sure you got all of them?" she asked, turning to Carlisle.

"We split up too."

"I can't deny I'm impressed."

"Yes." the three vanmpires behind her murmured.

"Well, it appears that there's not much left to do here. We're not used to being rendered unnessecery."

"Yes," the redhead retorted. "And you were so close. It's a shame you didn't arrive just a half hour earlier. Perhaps then you could have fulfilled your purpose here."

"Felix?" Jane asked lazily.

"Wait," the redhead said rather loudly. He turned to Carlisle and spoke quickly. "We could explain the rules to the young one. She doesn't seem unwilling to learn. She didn't know what she was doing."

"Of course." said Carlisle eagerly. "We would certainly be prepared to take responsibility for Bree."

My eyes shot around the coven. The blond scared boy caught my glance, like he understood. His eyes snapped shut for a second.

"Fine," Jane said. "But we'll be here when there's a mass murdur spree near Seattle."

And they swished their cloacks and walked away.

* * *

So, what did you think?

Only the ending was my work. The rest was a rather condensed version of the end of the book. I would have left the story alone, but Bree dies at the end of the novella so of course, for my story purposes, I let her live. Don't worry, better stuff is coming, and Bree will actually get to meet all the yellow eyes! I hope you Twilight fans out there enjoy. As for those of you who have no yet read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, you might not get the full gist of what's going on. Just hang in there.