Chapter Eleven: Overwhelmed

RACHEL DROVE ME home on Sunday afternoon, keeping up with the facade that I had been with her the night before

RACHEL DROVE ME home on Sunday afternoon, keeping up with the facade that I had been with her the night before. She even added commentary about the movie we had supposedly watched when she came inside with me. My father was none the wiser.

As tempted as I was to ask her about Sienna, I knew it wasn't my place. I would give her time to talk about it on her own when she was ready to. After all, telling me the truth about it took a lot of trust, and I wasn't about to push those boundaries.

I knew all too well how it felt to have those boundaries pushed.

Come Monday, Dad offered to drive me to school. As much as one might have believed he did so out of the goodness of his heart, I was quite certain it had more too do with the fact that by the time seven-thirty had rolled around, I was still contemplating exactly how necessary it was for me to get out of bed for my first period Latin test.

I did, in fact, arrive in time to write the test, even though my brain was only functioning at fifty percent. Second period Lit was, thankfully, a work period, and I spent third period organic chem doing a lab experiment with Aimee.

It was weird being back at school, but not a bad kind of weird. It felt almost normal settling back into the routine of boring lectures, gossiping at lunch and sweating my ass off for two periods a day, every day. But I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something missing from that routine. While it would've made sense to say if was my Mum saying goodbye to me each morning before school, it wasn't.

That became all too apparent when that something walked into the gymnasium five minutes into Coach Holster's daily rant.

"Kennedy!" Coach called loudly, the squeak of the door behind him giving away that someone else had joined us. The scary part was, Coach didn't even look backwards before speaking. "What a pleasure it is for you to finally join us! Did you manage to get lost somewhere between your gym locker and the damn door?"

"No, sir," Noah said firmly, jogging over to join the rest of us in front of Coach.

I tried not to watch him, feeling like some kind of a stalker every time my eyes flicked over to where he was standing, as far away as one could stand in a group of twenty students.