XVIII

-*-*-*-*- Tessa -*-*-*-*-

"This isn't working," Tessa sighed, throwing down the arrow head which clattered onto the stone floor. "We've been at it for hours. I'm sorry; I can't do it." Gideon nodded, his hand passing over his face.

"Right, we're going to have to try something else then," he said after a moment. Tessa watched as he glanced over to Gabriel who's head was in Cecily's lap. The poor boy's chest was heaving as he gasped for breath, his forehead shining with sweat as the fever got to him. She knew the look Gideon gave his brother. It was once a look she had given to Nate. But those times were long gone now and yet she wondered, if Tessa was in Gabriel's position, would Nate worry at all?

"There is nothing else," Cecily said quietly as she dabbed Gabriel's forehead with a torn piece of her dress. "We're out of options."

"We can't give up hope," Tessa said to her, trying to pick them up. But Gideon sat down hard on the floor, running a hand through his hair.

"All I can think of is fighting our way out the next time they come for us," he said. "But with Gabriel injured and you two barely trained, it may not go so well." Tessa bit her lip, looking around for something, anything to help them.

But in her heart of hearts, she knew that Cecily was right. There was nothing else they could do.

"Well, this looks rather pitiful," a voice said, a slight hint of humour to it. Tessa snapped her head up to see none other than Magnus Bane standing outside the cell, studying the bars with interest.

"Magnus!" she cried, running towards him, her hands gripping the bars. "By the Angel, how on Earth did you get here?" Magnus clicked his fingers, blue sparks flying. The door to the cell burst open, falling of its hinges.

"Let's just say Will remembered," he explained as he ushered the Shadowhunters from the cell. Gideon was carry Gabriel over his shoulders as he was too weak to walk. "There isn't time for the whole story now, but we've got to go and help Will."

"Will's here?" Cecily asked, her blue eyes blazing.

"He's gone to get Jem," Magnus said and Tessa nodded. Of course that's what Will would have done. "We have a plan, and for once it seems to be going right." He turned to Gideon. "But first, Mr Lightwood, I suggest you get your brother out of here. Go down the corridor and turn the first right. Charlotte and Henry will meet you there and will take you to my apartment. I will treat your brother there."

"But-"

"No arguing, Mr Lightwood," Magnus said firmly. "Go, now." Gideon looked like he wanted to argue further but Gabriel groaned in his arms which sent him into panic. He nodded to Magnus and the girls before turning and running to the exit.

"Miss Gray, Miss Herondale, I'm going to need you help," Magnus said once Gideon had gone. "We're going to help Will."

-*-*-*-*- Will -*-*-*-*-

"You are too late, Mr Herondale," Lupus' voice whispered from behind him, echoing through the cavern as Will sobbed with Jem in his arms, his weapons scattered on the floor around him. "With none of his medicine here, I'm afraid that we just couldn't save him. He was so hopeful that you'd come for him, but I suppose that he didn't come for you. The debt has been repaid."

"You did this," Will muttered, staring at Jem's pale and lifeless face.

"I'm sorry?" Lupus asked having not heard the words.

"I said, you did this!" Will roared, standing up and whirling around to face Lupus who stood outside the case. He pulled out a sword, pointing it at the evil man with the bronze wolf mask who stood in front of him.