VII

-*-*-*-*- Will -*-*-*-*-

"What do you mean, they're looking for us?" Will asked. "How the hell do they know we're here?!"

"I don't know," Jem replied. He peered around the corner again and cursed. "They're all over the street. We're not getting out of here without a fight."

Will's stomach dropped. Fight? What did Jem mean by fight? Yes, he had all these weapons on his belt and he was certainly dressed for the part, but he had no idea how to actually be a Shadowhunter. All the knowledge of being one of the Angel's warriors was lost with his memories. What was he meant to do?

"I don't know how to fight, Jem," he said quietly. "I honestly don't." Jem turned and looked at him, his lips parted.

"It's okay," he finally said. "I'm sorry, I forgot for a moment." He seemed to think for a moment then took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Will, but if we run, they'll find us. If we stay here, they'll find us. We have to fight." Will opened his mouth to speak but closed it again. He knew Jem was right. He'd just have to hope that his instincts would kick in.

"All right," Will said. "All right. I can do this. I can do this." He drew the sword from his belt, looking at it apprehensively. This was insane, and he knew it. But what else was he meant to do?

Jem had also drawn the sword that was hidden in his jade cane, checking it over before taking a deep breath. "Just stay as close to me as you can," he told. "Our parabatai power works best when we're together. You can draw on my strength to help you." Will didn't exactly know how to do that, but he just had to trust Jem, and trust himself.

"Are you ready?" Jem asked. Will nodded. He was ready. He had to be. 

Jem peered around the corner on last time before charging out, slicing his sword across the throat of the nearest automaton. Will followed him, stabbing his sword through the second automaton's torso. Metal screeched against metal as the automaton collapsed and Will hacked it to pieces.

Jem had already taken down three more by the time Will had finished with his first and was moving onto the next one. Will ran to help him, slicing it in half in one clean strike. He stared at his hands in shock.

How the hell did he do that?

By now, all the automatons from across the street were running towards them. Even with his dodgy memory, Will knew that they couldn't fight them all off without backup.

"Jem!" he shouted. Jem looked up from his battle as Will pointed to the group of automatons coming towards them. He nodded, finishing off the last from the first group of the automatons before running to Will.

They took their chance, thundering down the street before the second group of automatons could reach them. They ran through the winding streets of London, trying to find the most complicated route as they could to confuse the metal machines. Finally, they lost them, and both boys fetched up against the wall of a alley, catching their breath.

"That was too close," Will said, checking the corner again. The automatons were nowhere in sight. "I think we've lost them. How the hell did they know we were there though? Do you think it was Mortmain who took me and was trying to cover up the evidence?" Jem didn't answer him. "Jem? Jem, are you alright?"

Will turned and saw that Jem was leaning back against the wall, his eyes closed and his face tight with pain. He was a ghostly pale colour as he swallowed hard. His hand was pressed to his side, crimson blood staining his fingers. "I'm fine," he said breathlessly. "I'm alright."