XVI

A/N: So, question from @-tessaherondale: why do I like torturing my lovely readers and Will?

Answer: Well, I wouldn't say I like it lol. I hate seeing Will hurt just as much as the next person. BUT I am a writer at heart, so hurting characters to keep my reader's entertained is kind of my job. So, I apologise...I think hehehe

This next one was not an official question from @m4dl4a but I'm making it a question so I can announce it anyway: Are you going to write anymore about Grace Carstairs from your other fanfic 'Cursed'?

Answer: Yes. Yes I am ;) It won't be in this fanfic BUT I am currently planning a book full of short stories about the adventures of Grace Carstairs after the events of the Infernal Devices. So yeah, it will include her relationship with Jace, Emma, and the Blackthorns plus more! So I'll get on with that once I've finished FWH.

Okay then, on with the chapter.

Enjoy!

********************************************************************************************
-*-*-*-*- Jem -*-*-*-*-

Jem winced as he shifted the position he was sitting in, trying not to disturb the chains around him more than he had to. The black shackles were still clamped around his wrists and the more he moved, the more they seared into his skin.

It had been about an hour since the Unseelie King had left him. He had to admit, the last person he had expected to see behind the sinister bronze wolf mask was the most feared faerie in Downworld. But he wasn't completely shocked by the fact that he was fae. Arthur Bates had modified a faerie torture; it only made sense that the fae would take it back.

Around him, more men in iron wolf masks stood guard of the square cell he was sitting in. By the proud way they held themselves, he assumed they were fae soldiers too.

A clang made him jerk with head up. Heavy footsteps were approaching the cell from the darkness making all the guards stand to attention.

The Unseelie King stepped into the light, swiftly waving his hand and unlocking the cell door. Jem scrambled to his feet but before he could react, the faerie had grabbed hold of him, slamming him against the bars of the cage.

Jem cried out as the metal burnt him through his clothes, just as they had burnt Will when he had watched his memory.

"When Will was in my care, Mr Carstairs, I blocked the power of parabatai tracking with my own magic," the King said gleefully. "But I have lifted that veil in order for Mr Herondale to find us."

"He won't make it easy for you," Jem spat, gritting his teeth to ignore the pain.

"But he will, you see," the King chuckled. "Because he'll be so desperate to save his parabatai from pain, pain that he can sense so strongly that it will lead him straight here. And when he does get here, he'll trade the book for you and the others' lives, and I will slowly tear hin apart." Jem struggled, kicking out and landing a solid blow at the King's face. He roared and released Jem, stumbling back.

Jem dropped to the floor but managed to stay on his feet. He could feel blood dripping down his back from the burns that the bars had seared into his back.