XII

A/N: So how cute is the picture above?!?! I don't actually know when Heronstairs day is, but I will find out! Sorry for the late update. I've been bombarded with snow so I haven't had power or Wi-Fi consistently at all this week. But I'm back! And I'm trying to get this up as soon as possible before I lose Wi-Fi again.

And for this chapter...well, brace yourselves. Please, brace yourselves. Things are going to spice up a bit...

Enjoy!

-*-*-*-*- Gabriel -*-*-*-*-

"What do you mean my brother is missing?!" Gabriel roared, leaping from his chair and glaring at everyone in the Institute. Charlotte had summoned him here an hour ago and, as she was the Head of the Institute, Gabriel couldn't decline, as much as he wanted to. He wasn't sure of the reasons for his summoning. He had thought it was probably some attempt by Charlotte to appeal to his heart and bring him to the Institute only to weaken his father.

But he never expected to hear that Gideon had disappeared.

"He never returned from meeting you," Charlotte said gently.

"But that was yesterday!" Gabriel cried. "You mean he's been missing for twenty-four hours and you think only now to tell me!" He ran his hands through his hair, his breathing harsh and rapid.

God, this was all his fault. He should have been nicer to Gideon and not pushed him away. He should have made sure that he got home safely. He should have known that something like this was going to happen.

"Mr Lightwood, please calm down," Miss Herondale said to him from her chair. If it were any other day, Gabriel would have been fascinated by her midnight blue eyes, but right then his mind was on other things. "We are going to find your brother, just like how we found Will. We are going to save him."

"Yes, but Will lost his memory and had been tortured by the time we found him..." Henry pointed out. Everyone including Gabriel glared at him. He opened his mouth to say something again but one stern look from Charlotte made him fall silent.

"So, what are you going to do?" Gabriel asked Charlotte. She looked up at him, an eyebrow raised.

"I think the more appropriate question is: what are we  going to do?" she said. "He is your brother. I assume you are going to help the search." Gabriel looked at her angrily.

"Of course I'm going to help," he retorted. "But my brother was under your care in the Institute. His disappearance is your responsibility. And you wonder why my father thinks you are a terrible Head of the London Institute."

"Mr Lightwood!" Miss Gray gasped but Gabriel wasn't listening. He stood from his seat, glaring at them all one last time before marching from the room and into the corridor.

He couldn't believe that Gideon was just gone. His brother was one of the strongest Shadowhunters he knew, much stronger than Herondale. He wouldn't have been taken easily. So who took him and why? Where was his brother now? What were they doing to him?

He reached the Great Doors and he stormed outside into the courtyard. This was ridiculous, stupid even. He was getting himself all worked up when he should be out there looking for Gideon. Where was he going to start? The park, yes. That was where Gideon was last seen so that would be where he'd look for clues-