VIII

A/N: The awesome cover above is by the fabulous m4dl4a!!!! Thank you so much! I love it! This one is dedicated to you!

Enjoy!

-*-*-*-*- Tessa -*-*-*-*-

Tessa sat at her vanity table, methodically brushing out her hazel hair. It was quite late at night but no one in the Institute was sleeping. They were all waiting up for Will and Jem to come home. They still hadn't returned from looking for clues at Gunthorpe street, and Tessa was worried beyond belief.

What if the person who took Will decided that they wanted him back? What if they were hurting both Will and Jem? What if they both lost their memories all over again? What if-

Tessa slammed the brush onto the table to stop herself from going insane. They were fine. They probably just got wrapped up in the mystery and didn't realise how late it was. They had always done that, being boys after all.

But yet again, there was a sick feeling in her stomach. It was the same feeling she had before they found Will. Something was very wrong; she could just feel it.

As if on cue, there was a knock on her door. "Come in," she called tiredly. Sophie entered the room carrying a letter.

"This just came for you, miss," she said, handing Tessa the envelope. Tessa nodded her thanks and Sophie left. Sitting on the bed, Tessa tore open the letter, scanning the contents with increasing alarm:

My dear Miss Gray,

I just thought to let you know that your fiance and Will are currently in my care at the apartment I am staying in with Woolsey.

I regret to inform you that James was not well when I found them and, although I have given him all of the drug that Woolsey had when he was studying it, but I fear that he may not have enough to recover fully.

Please could you make haste to my apartment at once with some of James's medicine.

Your loyal servant,

Magnus Bane.

P.S.

I am extremely concerned about Will. He has told me that he was kidnapped and lost his memory, but I cannot seem to get the whole story from him. I hope you can explain the situation to me when you arrive so I can discover the best way to help him.

Tessa gasped and leapt from the bed, ringing the bell for Sophie to help her change again. "Miss?" Sophie asked as she hurried into the room. "Miss, what on Earth is the matter?"

"Magnus wrote to me," Tessa said breathlessly as she tried to put on her corset. "Jem and Will are with him, but Jem is ill. I must go to him at once." Sophie gasped but proceeded to help Tessa changed back into her dress.

"Do you want me to fetch Mrs Branwell, Miss?" Sophie asked as she hurriedly tied Tessa's hair into a chignon.

"Just tell her where I've gone," Tessa replied. "Explain that I will be back as soon as I can. I do not want her to worry." Sophie nodded.