Chapter TwentyTwo

Start from the beginning

"I'll be there in ten." I hung up and took a deep breath, feeling an even heavier weight on my shoulders.

Wait for me, auntie. I'm coming. Just hang on.

Don't go yet...

Becca

"I don't fucking know you! Just leave me alone!"

I watched as she wriggled against the ropey binds. Tears soaked Olivia's cheeks and her jumper was slack from the way I'd dragged her around. Now she sat against the wall with her hands tied behind her back. She looked pathetic and broken. It was the perfect image.

I won't lie; I had no idea what I would do once I entered her home. Luckily, she was alone, which gave me free rein to knock her around a bit and scare the shit out of her. All she could say was that I'd got the wrong person, that I'd made a mistake.

It pissed me off to no end.

I remained seated on the stool I had taken from the kitchen. It was facing the other way, allowing me to lean my arms on the backrest. Numerous questions floated around my head. There was so much I wanted to ask her, but I was running out of time.

"You make me sick," I spat. "You really have no idea why I'm here?"

She rested her head against the wall, looking physically drained. "Just tell me who you are."

"That's too easy. Use that fucking brain of yours, or has it been fucked out of you too many times?"

She spat on the floor, missing my foot by a few inches. Then she glared up at me with malice. "Fuck you."

I looked to the ceiling and released a heavy sigh. Then I rose from the stool and kicked it out of the way before bending down to her level. She stood her ground, looking defiant and righteous. She had the fucking audacity to play the victim here.

I grabbed a clump of her hair and socked her in the face. Her head twisted sideways from the impact, but my grip on her hair caused her to turn back to me instantly.

"See, now that's not going to help you, is it?" I dragged her head down so she was lying on her side and kicked her hard in the stomach. She yelped in pain and tried to curl into herself. "I could be a psychopath but you're trying to test my anger. See how fucking far that gets you."

I spotted drops of blood coming from her nose. She coughed and groaned quietly, shaking her head as if she'd had enough. Bless her, but we were only just beginning.

"Bottom line is you don't need to know who I am. But you've fucked with the wrong people. Literally."

Olivia glanced up at me and sniffed. Tears lined her lashes, yet her glare was cold.

"Do you know what you are?"

"Let me go," she pleaded quietly.

"Answer the fucking question. Do you know what you are?"

"No."

I raised a brow. "I think you're lying. You know exactly what you are. You know how people see you." I retrieved the switchblade I'd taken from Kieran's drawer a few days ago and flipped it up. I pressed the tip of the blade against my index finger. It was nice and sharp. "Let's play a game."

She immediately shook her head. "Please..." I crouched down just as she tried to scurry away, pushing the soles of her feet against the floor to try and slide towards the front door.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her body, rolling her onto her stomach. She cried out loudly when I straddled her hips and clutched her forearm.

"Shut up," I grunted. Olivia whimpered as I steadied the knife. "All you have to do is guess what the word is, okay?"