The Pap Smear Breakdown

Pap smear: a test to detect cervical cancer

Heads up, ladies, I've got a secret ... Pap smears aren't that bad! Honestly ... it's not painful, it's awkward ... like having your arm bent in a weird way or something. The worst part of going to get a Pap is not knowing what to expect! So here's a quick heads-up:

Pap smears are strongly suggested for girls who are 18+ and/or sexually active. Before the actual test, you'll probably want to pee. It makes things a bit more comfy. Next, the doctor is going to ask you about your sexual activity, medical history, and all that doctor-type jazz. Remember, it's confidential, so be honest! Seriously, this is important. If you leave out facts or don't tell the whole truth, the doctor won't have a full picture of what's going on—it can screw things up. Having sex within 24 hours of the Pap can cause inaccuracies.

The doctor will tell you to undress and you'll lie on your back with your knees bent and legs apart on a table. Your feet might be put into stirrups. You'll feel pressure as the lubricated speculum is inserted ... brace yourself, it might be cold! The speculum is holding your vagina open so the doctor can take a look-see and take the swab. If you're not comfortable with the size of the speculum, you can request a smaller one. The swab will be used to test for cervical changes.

If you're having a full pelvic exam, the doctor will also take different swabs to test for STIs. The speculum is then removed and TA-DA. You're done. It only takes a minute, literally.

Pap smears can be uncomfortable, but it's impor- tant to get them yearly for early detection of cervical cancer. I know it's weird to have your legs spread on a table in a doctor's office, but keep in mind, doctors do this alllll the time; it's normal. They won't be weirded out or turned on by your vagina; it's just a medical procedure to your doctor. If you're still uncomfortable, try finding a female family doctor, or going to a sexual health clinic, which is much more anonymous.

Imogen Birchard