Questions We Had about Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)...

Questions and answers compiled from the Arcade Down & Dirty discussion group facilitated by Jessica Harrod and Bridget Sinclair, Youth Services Workers, St. Stephen's Community House

Q. WHAT IS AN STI?

A. An STI is a sexually transmitted infection. Another term that we use for this is sexually transmitted disease (STD).

Q. HOW DO YOU GET AN STI?

A. You can get an STI through some form of sexual contact.

This means sexual contact—through penis/vagina, penis/mouth, penis/anus, anus/mouth, or vagina/mouth contact.

Q. WHO CAN GET AN STI?

A. Anyone who is sexually active can get an STI. You're more likely to be at risk if you are engaging in sexual activity without protection, such as a condom.

Q. ARE ALL STIs DANGEROUS?

A. It depends on the particular infection and your definition of "dangerous." Many STIs are treatable with medication and are not life-threatening. HIV is the STI that causes AIDS, which is life- threatening. Always take precautions and practice safe sex, which will reduce your risk of contacting any STIs.

Q. WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF STIs THAT ARE MOST DAMAGING TO YOUR BODY?

A. HIV and hepatitis B, untreated gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis are the most damaging STIs. HIV, hepatitis B, and human papilloma virus (HPV) have lifetime effects. (See STI descriptions later in this chapter.) Most STIs are treatable with medications.

Q. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MOST COMMON STIs?

A.The most common STIs include herpes,gonorrhea,chlamydia and syphilis. Other common STIs are: trichomoniasis, hepatitis B, and human papilloma virus (HPV), which causes genital warts.

Q. HOW CAN YOU PROTECT YOURSELF FROM STIs?

A. If you are sexually active, the best way to protect yourself from getting an STI is by practicing safe sex. This means making sure you use condoms (and/or dental dams, etc.) during sexual activity. Also, going to a clinic to get tested periodically helps. You can be immunized for hepatitis B. Another way of protecting yourself from getting an STI is through abstaining from all sexual activity.

Q. HOW DO YOU TREAT AN STI?

A.Each STI is treated differently.For many cases, medications such as antibiotics can be prescribed by a doctor.

Q. ARE ANY OF THE STIs UNTREATABLE?

A. HIV (the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS), genital warts, and herpes are lifetime diseases. This means that once you are infected by them, they remain with you forever. But there are medications that can treat the symptoms. (To learn more about the implications of HIV, see Chapter 8.)

Q. ARE SOME PEOPLE MORE LIKELY TO GET AN STI THAN OTHERS?

A. There are certain groups that have a higher risk of getting STIs than others. These include young people, women, and those who have multiple partners. Women are more at risk because of the way women's bodies are made. Our vaginas are moist environments that germs love. Also, because so much of our sex organs are internal, it's difficult to notice an infection. Anyone who has sex without a condom is also more at risk of contracting an STI.

Q. DOES IT HURT TO HAVE AN STI?

A. Again, depending on the STI and how long it's left untreated, it can be painful. Some painful symptoms include discharge, blistering, or painful peeing.

Q. WHAT ARE SOME SYMPTOMS OF AN STI?

A. Different STIs manifest themselves in different ways. Sometimes you get tired, fever, blisters, sores, pain in the abdomen, pain when you pee, pain during sex, abnormal bleeding, unpleasant odors, unusual discharge (greater quantity and/or different color), or genital warts. But often there are no symptoms, especially in women!

Q. HOW DO YOU PASS ON AN STI?

A. An STI is passed through any form of sexual activity—which includes unprotected oral sex, vaginal sex, and anal sex—with a person who is already infected. You can also get them from unclean sex toys.

Q. IF YOU HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS AN STI, WILL YOU GET IT THE FIRST TIME?

A. Yes. You would be lucky if you didn't. But it depends on the STI.