My Choice

Penny Nicholls

My intention wasn't to choose a birth control that day, let alone start trying one out, but it was that easy. I went to a birth control clinic with a friend of mine who was getting her Pap test. While waiting, I talked to a women about my birth control options. There were many, but she focused on two: the Pill and a new form of birth con- trol called Ortho Evra, better known as the patch.

I knew a little about the Pill previously and wasn't sure it was for me because I worried about having to remember to take them daily, as well as the fact I have a problem swallow- ing things like Tylenol. I hadn't heard of the patch, but when she told me about it, I was really interested because it covered both my concerns about the Pill.

See, you put a sticker-like patch on your lower abdomen, buttocks, upper back, or your upper arm and leave it there for a whole week. The patch slowly releases hormones into your body that help prevent preg- nancy. Unlike the Pill, there is an extra amount of hormones (two days' worth) so if you forget to change it on your regular change day, you have two days to do so.

All of what I heard seemed safe, convenient, and really easy so I told her I was interested in trying the patch out. I assumed I'd have to come back and pick up a prescription, but she informed me I could have a free starter kit, which included one month's worth of the patches, a case, and an information booklet. So, I applied the patch to what I thought to be the most concealed spot of my body options, my lower abdomen.

I've been on the patch for about six months now, and unfortunately, I've started to endure some side effects that have me contemplating switching the form I use. Keep in mind, not all girls endure the same or all of the reported possible side effects; it differs for each girl's body. The first months were fine, no differences, except from some breast growth and tenderness, which didn't really have me complaining. Oh and sometimes clothing fuzz would stick to my skin around the patch, but it's easy to remove with baby oil. However, around month four I started to have mood swings; at first they were rare and little but now they've got me thinking I'm crazy sometimes. It's not all the time, but it still bothers me, so I'm looking into other options I have for birth control.