A Castle of Marauders

On the evening of 31 March, James, Peter and Remus were awakened by the sounds of pig squeals and Sirius announcing that It Was Time and urging them to get up from their slumbers and don their slippers. Peter passed around chunks of chocolate and they nibbled quietly as they followed Sirius through the portrait hole and down through the castle, a silencing charm cast upon Patti Pig so that her cries would not alert Filch to their location.

"Should've knownsies that you four would be on the prowwwwwl," cooed Peeves, twisting and turning over their heads as they descended the steps.

"Bugger off, Peeves," Sirius said, waving his lit wand in the poltergeist's direction.

Peeves said, "Should tells on you I shoulds!"

"Peeves," James said, exasperated, "I solemnly swear that we're up to no good, alright? We're trying to play an April Fool's joke!"

Peeves clapped his hand, "Ohhh yes yes yes, this is the sorts of thing Peevsie approves of! Good work gentlemens!" and he spun head over heels several times in midair. "Tell old Peevsie how to help the Marauders conduct their evillll?"

"You could distract Filch for us," Remus suggested.

Peeves grinned and saluted, "One distraction, coming up!"

Sirius leaned over the banister to watch him go. Then he asked, "Time?"

"Forty-three past midnight," James reported, glancing at the Mickey watch on his wrist, which he'd taken to wearing without any grand to-do, so that none of the Marauders had even noticed it. 

Sirius nodded, "Brilliant. C'mon." And they snuck on through the halls, down the stairs, until they'd reached the painting of the pear in the very depths of the school, where Peter said the kitchens were hidden. Peter tickled the pear and the painting swung open and revealed a dark kitchen. The only light was the dying embers in the fireplace. The air smelled of pork chops and spices and apples.

"Oh bloody hell," he looked sick immediately. With the full moon less than a week away, Remus was feeling quite queasy over every scent that accosted his nose. "It smells like pork in here!"

James gave Remus an apologetic look.

"Oi, you saying pork smells funny?" Sirius raised a challenging eyebrow at Remus.

James said, "Your pig is not pork."

"Technically," Remus said, "It is."

"Those pork chops were rather delightful tonight, though, weren't they?" Peter asked, breathing deeply and relishing the memory of them. He looked around at the other boys. "I mean, weren't they brilliant? And with that gravy and the mash?"

Sirius had led them across the kitchen to the large refrigerated room. "Alohamora," he declared, aiming his wand.

"Where do you reckon all the elves are?" Peter asked.

"Sleeping?" James suggested.

"Or else doing other chores," Remus added.

Sirius pulled open the refrigerator doors. "Here we are gentleman," he announced.

"Blimey," shivered Remus.

The Marauders stepped inside the fridge and Sirius kicked a box of lemons into the door's opening so it wouldn't swing shut behind them, and there they stood, looking about and shivering. Remus quickly tugged on an extra jumper from his bag.

The refrigerated room was about the size of their dormitory, with deep shelves that went up and up and up and up what appeared a couple stories high. There were little rolling ladders like in a library on both sides - the better for the elves to reach everything with. The shelves were stocked full. Baskets of greens,  cartons of eggs, wrapped meats and fish, boxed and bags of fruits, and large containers of pre-cooked, chopped, and prepared ingredients, leftovers, and -- what they'd come for -- the next morning's breakfast foods.