Reducto

Reducto

"Dim your wand, Rosier." Voldemort's voice had been cold and urgent. "We do not wish to be seen before we are ready." The boat wobbled as the heavy set boy muttered nox and the light went out. The only illumination was now the moon - a waning crescent in the sky, barely a sliver of light, reflecting upon the dark black water of the lake, a trillion stars surrounding it in the sea of inky sky. "We must move closer, Mulciber."

"Yes, my Lord." The even heavier-set boy, thick with muscle and wide shoulders, leaned over, nearly tipping the boat, and stuck his wand into the water. "Acelerar," he whispered and the boat moved forward through the water, rippling the surface behind them.

Severus Snape held onto the sides of the boat, hist stomach queasy from the rocking. He hated boats. He hated the thought of the depth of the darkness below him, of the ground being so bloody far away and how many times over he could drown before he reached it if he were to fall in. He was glad he was seated behind the Dark Lord, glad that Voldemort could not see how ill he was feeling as the boat wobbled its way across the lake, toward the castle.

"Stop," Voldemort whispered. They were close to the opening to the docks now, close enough to see the cave, but not close enough to be seen from within the cave. A gust of wind breathed over the lake, wrapping about the castle, cold and harsh. Voldemort pulled his cloaks closer 'round his neck. "Rosier, Snape. You go on. Mulciber, stay with me."

"Yes, my Lord," Mulciber said, thankful he didn't have to go into the water.

Rosier stood up and tucked his wand into his robes, grabbing a mask from the floor of the vessel.

"We aren't yet inside, my Lord," Severus said, "What if we were to move into the cave and --"

"And be detected?" Voldemort hissed, "I am surprised enough that Dumbledore hasn't yet seen our approach. Any closer and he may take notice. To be enclosed is to be vulnerable. I stay here. If anything goes foul, we can depart and leave you and Rosier here."

Severus looked at the dark water.

Rosier cracked his knuckles and, grinning at the apprehension on Severus's face, he said, "Hope you can swim, Snape." With that, he dove into the water and began swimming toward the mouth of the cave, nearly silently.

Severus shivered.

"Are we having second thoughts, Severus?" the Dark Lord breathed.

Yes, Severus thought deep in his enclosed mind, where the Lord could not see it. "No," he said outloud.

"Good." Voldemort whispered. "I know you are aware that your part in this is absolutely crucial to my success."

"Yes, my Lord," Severus said.

"Do not disappoint me." His voice was hard and low.

"I will not." Severus took a deep breath and pushed thoughts of sharp-toothed mermaids and the giant squid's thick tentacles out of his mind, and took the step over the side of the boat and into the water. He fell, a bit like a rock, right into the water and it closed around him over his head, his cheeks puffed out with breath pocketed within them. He kicked, his robes thick and heavy beneath the surface, his heart racing so hard he could hear it in his ears and he didn't dare to open his eyes, didn't dare to feel the sting of the water in them. He could feel his hair floating in every direction about his head, and he wondered fleetingly whether Voldemort would bother at rescuing him should he start to drown.