Chapter 7

Lindsay doesn't speak to me on the way home. I don't blame her. I had tricked her into coming to the bowling alley only to see Dad. True to her word, she didn't play with us or sat with us at our lane we were given.

She ended up sitting near the kiosk, talking to this guy name Troy, who I recognised from Lindsay's Photography class, as he worked his shift at the kiosk. Hanging around Troy she was acting as her usual self, like she was never mad at me for tricking her to coming here. He sat with her during his break. I haven't spoken to Troy or knew anything about him, except for his sister Courtney Brennan was his sister, the girl who was now dating Lindsay's ex-boyfriend. Courtney was in my Visual Arts class.

Once I pull into the driveway, Lindsay bolted out of the car as soon as I put on the brakes. I swiftly put the gear into park, switching off the engine, and climbing out of the vehicle, locking it behind me. I ran after my sister. I call after her to wait, but she completely ignored me. I sprint faster and beat her to the front door, blocking before she could enter inside. I could hear the television running so I knew Mum was in the lounge room.

Lindsay frowns as she walks up the steps. "Get out of the way, Alex. After what happened tonight, I don't feel like talking or care what you have to say."

"I'm sorry, Lindsay. I know what I did was wrong. But could you please do this one favour for me? Could you please keep quiet to Mum about Dad? I don't want her to know that we spent the evening with him."

Lindsay crosses her arms across her chest. "Tell me one good reason why I should keep quiet?"

"Mum has forbidden me to see him. She will be furious if she finds out I went against her rules, dragging you along with me."

My sister raises her eyebrows at me. I know what she is thinking. She is probably thinking how can a person like me be such a goody-two shoes and then go against their mother's rules? I'm a rule follower. I'm always following the rules and I try not to break any of them. Lindsay, on the other hand, always breaks the rules and never likes it when I lecture her to do the right thing. If I was to break a rule, it was usually once in a blue moon. And yes, I was breaking my Mum's rule about seeing Dad behind her back. I'm not proud of it, but it's the only way I can see Dad. I need to prove to everyone that he has changed.

Lindsay stares at me for a long time before rolling her eyes. "Fine. I will keep it a secret." She holds up her hand, using her index finger to form the number one. "But only for this one time." She puts her arm down. "After that you are on your own. Don't expect me to do it all the time."

I smile at her. "Thanks, Lindsay."

Lindsay doesn't return the smile, pushing me out of the way and enters inside. I follow her inside.

Mum looks up from the television where she was watching some drama series, her eyes weary. "Hi girls. Did you have a good time at bowling?"

"It was great, Mum," I say before Lindsay could say anything about tonight. "I got the highest score." That part was the truth.

She smiles. "That's great."

We let Mum get back to her show and then climb the stairs.

I say goodnight to my sister, but she doesn't return a goodnight back. As I was about to enter my room, Lindsay speaks.

"You will be sorry if you continue to see Dad behind Mum's back," she warns me.

I turn to her, but before I had the chance to say something, Lindsay slips into her room and closed the door behind her. I stand there for a few seconds, wondering if I should say anything. No. It was best to let Lindsay cool off. Talking to her will make it worse.