Fifteen

Jack

6-16
       I started teaching Jack things around the farm. He took them up easily, as if he understood them completely. We both took care of the animals for the day, and we had his favorite; my homemade cheesecake. When he leaves, if he ever chooses to, I will have to remember to give him the recipe. When we were cooking, he also said that today was something special in his old life, but he didn't know what. After that, we also had another French lesson. One of the phrases was "I love you" and when I told him that it meant that, he smiled and said, "Je t'aime." I hope I never lose this boy.

Zach and I walked the busy streets to the nearby cafe that I would have my first gigs in. We were going to be meeting up with a few people to separate Lace's will to see who will get everything she owned. She had rewritten it recently, adding me into the mix of everyone there.

I sighed as I pushed open the glass doors to the cafe. I spotted a group of familiar people, some of which I know and others who I saw at the funeral, at a table in the corner of the store. We hastily made our way over to the table, nodding our heads towards the one's glancing up at our presence.

"Ahh, Jack Avery accompanied with Zach Herron," the man at the head of the large table glanced up and gave a cheeky smile. I gave a warm smile in exchange as Zach and I took a spot in two vacant chairs next to each other. We waited for the arrival of the other people in the will. Soon enough, more people promptly piled in and we began.

"On behalf of Lace Charet," the man gazed at the paper infront of him. "Quarter of her expenses will go to her husband William Charet. Another quarter to Jack Avery, and split the last half as donations to the cafe and music shop." I glanced over to Kori and her grandfather, who were among the last to arrive, radiant in their chairs. I didn't know how much Lace had in expenses, but I knew it would be a grand amount. It would be of great charity to the music store and cafe, but the amount I had gotten seemed to be too much for me.

"Nathaniel Peters, you will be recieving the animals out at the farm house aswell as the farm equipment." I looked across the table to see Mr. Peters grinning with happiness knowing that he would be recieving a great deal of things.

"Due to William Charet being in the army and being sent back out again," the man looked at the papers closely. "Jack Avery will be recieveing the house and Maxwell Charet, Lace's farm dog."

My eyes buldging, I looked over at William. He was nodding his head, giving a resuring look showing that he wasn't angry in the slightest. I gave a relieved sigh before bringing my eyes over to Zach. He was giving me a soft smile and he reached over to my hand under the table and grasped it, holding it in his.

The man continued on, but I just stared out the window behind him. I watched as passerbyes continued their journey somewhere. We were all on our own expedition, living a new, important day to the next. No one knows how important they can be at the moment, but when the moment passes you will see.

I had quarter of Lace's expenses, her dog, aswell as her house. How did I earn these things? I did nothing to get them. I was just there for her and around her.

My name wasn't said at all after the house giveaway, and the rest of Lace's items went to the others that have gathered here. Everyone had gotten up, getting ready to evacuate the cafe, but I decided to stick around, Zach joining me.

Zach plopped down into the booth across from me holding two coffees. He handed one over before saying to me, "You can tell Lace cares a lot for you." He gave me a smile and I shook my head.

"Yeah," I paused. "I just feel greedy. I knew her for a short while and I already got a lot of her belongings." I took the straw of my coffee and stirred it around. It was true, I did feel bad because it felt as if I am taking everything.

He reached his hand across the table. "Don't feel that way, babe," Zach said. "She probably trusts you, and after all, you did live with her most recently. You know she has always wanted a kid. You were like that to her. She just felt the need to give you things because of that feeling."

I gave him a soft smile before taking a sip from my coffee. I was happy he tagged along; moral support for myself. He made me stronger.

We sipped some more coffee, and when they were gone we got up to leave the cafe. We decided to go to the music store, maybe buy somethings to bring back home for the others and for us, and just to visit before we have to leave tomorrow.

As we walked in, Zach and I scattered. I had walked to the front desk, greeting Kori's grandfather, while Zach went to go look at the string instruments. I chatted a while with Kori's grandfather until Kori came strolling up herself.

She gave me a cheeky smile. "Jack!" She pulled me into a hug before saying, "I missed you so much."

"I did too." I said grinning at her. She motioned to the back room to talk and get out of the way of customers, and I gladly followed.

"How has everything been in LA?" She sat down on the couch in the back room waiting for my answer.

"It is going good. How about here?"

"It is well. I just wish you didn't have to leave again."

It fell suddenly quiet, as if we had nothing else to talk about, but I knew what I wanted to ask.

"Kori... When I was leaving last time, why did you almost stop me?"

--

Hi sisters! Cliffhanger!

I have been binge watching Shane Dawson videos and a few James Charles videos because I have no life but everyone can deal with it.

Word Count: 1084