Chapter 19: Creatures of Night

(Ash's POV) November 28th, 1561

After our ride, we came back and put Jamie to bed. She went easily, having already been tired from the snow fight and ride. Abby and I were in our room, changing out of our outside outfit and into our nightwear. As we were changing I looked over my shoulder at my queen. Should I ask her about it now? I thought.

Maybe. There's something she's not telling us. Something big. Ashton responded as he appeared next to me. He narrowed his eyes at Abby's now bare back as she changed into her nightgown.

The same could be said of us.. and stop staring at her! I hissed.

Sorry sorry. He said and turned to face me instead. What if we traded information instead? He inquired.

Are... are you saying that in exchange for her secret I should tell mine? I asked as I slipped on my long sleeved shirt.

Yes. Her secret seems to be just as big as ours. He stared.

Yes but... Ashton how do I tell her "I was an assassin sent to MURDER YOU"? I snapped.

I'm... unsure. You don't have to tell her now. But just telling her you have a secret that you'll share with her in time might help. He said.

I mentally sighed and looked over my shoulder at Abby, who was now fully dressed. She looked at me with a curious look, "What's wrong? You look like you want to ask me something." She said.

I sighed, "I... yes." I said, turning to face her. "Do you have any idea why Sterling reacted to you like she did?" I asked.

Her eyes flickered from curious to panicked for a split second, then they quickly changed to slightly confused. "I told you, I think I startled her."

"Yes but how? You didn't do anything to... she reacted to you like she did to me the first time she encountered me." I said narrowing my eyes. "Abby... is there something you're hiding?" I asked.

Her eyes widened and I could see the terror in her eyes, "I..." she started, I narrowed my eyes again. She sighed quietly and looked down, "Yes... but I don't know how to show you..." she said quietly.

"Show me?" I asked.

She nodded, "I..." she took a deep breath, "Do... do you have any holy water on you?" She asked.

"Holy water...? Yes..." I said slowly. Holy water... why holy water?

"Give it to me?" She asked, looking up at me. I furrowed my brow in confusion then turned and grabbed the vial of holy water out of a drawer. I then walked over and handed the small vial to Abby. She looked down at the fogged glass vial that had a white cross engraved in it. She uncorked the vial, then took a deep breath. "Please don't freak out..." she said quietly to herself. She then splashed some on her arm. In seconds her skin started smoking on contact and she hissed loudly.

I gasped "Abigail!" And took her hand, "Abby are you okay?! What's happening?" I asked, panicked. Her hair was covering her face as she panted, then, she slowly looked up at me. What I saw made me gasp loudly, and stumble back, falling to the floor in the process. Her face had changed. Her eyes were blood red where the white should've been and her irises glowed like small suns. Her teeth... they were elongated into fangs. "V-vampire..." I stuttered.

VAMPIRE! Ashton hissed as he attempted to take control. KILL IT. ASH KILL IT.

No! I cried and shoved Ashton down. I slowly stood up with my hand in front of me, "A-Abby... you're a..."

She nodded sadly, and looked down. "When I was younger, I got sick. Very sick. There was no cure except... except for this." She explained. "Once I found out you were a werewolf I was terrified to tell you..." she said quietly.

I looked at Abby in shock, "B-But... who... how..."
She looked up at me, "Ash I'm still me." She said stepping toward me. I backed up. The hurt in her eyes was fresh and it hurt my heart. "Ash... please."

I looked down, "A-Abby. I have something to tell you too... but I can't tell you right now. I haven't figured out how to tell you it yet... but I promise. Soon I will." I said.

Abby took a step close, and when I didn't move back, she places a gentle hand on my shoulder. I looked up and my pale turquoise eyes met her glowing red ones. She placed her other hand in my cheek, "Ash, I'm still me. Please trust me." She said. Despite the unfamiliar eyes that stared back at me, I could feel the emotions behind them. She was being honest.

I nodded and hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry for being startled..." I apologized.
She buried her face into my shoulder and hugged back.

"It's okay. I'm glad I told you." She said quietly.

I kissed the top of her head, "Come on. We should get some rest. Today has been... eventful." I said with a half smile.

Abby laughed lightly, "Yes. It has." She agreed. With that, we got into bed, and fell asleep in each other's arms.