Chapter 18: Black Beauty

(Ash's POV) November
28th, 1561

Abby and I walked through the castle, one of  each of Jamie's little hands in ours. "Where are we going?" She asked curiously.

"It's a surprise, little one. You'll see when we get there." I said, chuckling at the small pout my answer caused. "I promise it'll be fun Lille Ulv." I added, glancing at Abby, who had a small amused smile on her face. A few minutes later we arrived at the castle stables.

"Horses!" Jamie exclaimed excitedly and I couldn't help but smile. She looked up at me with her big turquoise eyes that were filled to the brim with the wonder and excitement that only a child can have. "Are we gonna ride them?" Jamie asked.

"Do you already know how to ride one?" Abby asked.

Jamie turned her gaze to the queen and nodded, "Mhm! Angel and Dane taught me when I was four years old." She said.

"Angel and Dane?" Abby asked confused, looking at me.

"Her adoptive parents, they were... close friends of mine." I explained. Abby nodded in understanding. I turned my attention to my daughter. "And yes, little one, we will be riding them. I thought you might enjoy a little tour of the kingdom. Especially the woods." I said with a soft smile.

Jamie beamed up at me, "Yes I would like that a lot."

I smiled as we made it to the stable. I opened the doors and let out my large black and white Clydesdale horse named Sterling. She was a beautiful horse who was jet black with white socks and a white spot on her nose. She had a long black mane that side swiped right. "Jaime, I'd like you to meet Sterling. She is my horse." I said as I stroked her snout gently. She nickered at me in response.

"Woah... I don't think I've ever seen her before." Abby said as Jamie look at Sterling in awe. Abby took step towards her, cautiously holding her hand out for Sterling to investigate. I expected Sterling to react like always, very friendly. But... that was not the case here. Sterling made a low distressed noise and threw her head back, then hen reared with a panicked neigh.

Jamie, Abby and I all gasped in surprise. Abby yanked her hand away as Jamie jumped back in alarm. I grabbed a tight hold on Sterling's reins and pulled her back down to all fours. I then stroked her neck gently. "Shhh Sh girl. It's okay. It's okay." I cooed quietly. Sterling neighed and nickered quietly as she nodded her head up and down. I kept a tight hold on her reins as I stroked her neck gently. "She's never reacted like that before... are you okay?" I asked, looking at Abby in concern.

Abby nodded, looking slightly spooked and on edge, "Yeah... sorry I must've spooked her."

I nodded in response, and stroked Sterling's snout, "Maybe. Well why don't you show Jamie Weiss while I get Sterling saddled up." I suggested.

The light instantly returned to both the girls eyes, "Yes of course." Abby agreed. I smiled before leading Sterling into the stable house to saddle her. As I strapped Sterling's saddle to her, I furrowed my brow in confusion. Why did Sterling react that way... she's never done that before. I didn't see Abby spook her. I furrowed my brow more and stood. I rubbed my chin and looked up at the ceiling in deep thought. What...what if Abby isn't telling me something? I looked towards the open door. I'll ask her after this ride... now isn't the time. I turned back to Sterling and fitted the saddle just right. I then climbed up onto her back just as Abby led Weiss, Jamie and Pike into the stable house. Pike was our little brown and white Shetland pony. I smiled warmly and walked Sterling over to Abby. "Hurry up slow pokes. Let's get this show in the road!" I said with a smirk.

"Oh hush." Abby said with an eye roll and small smile.

Once Abby got Weiss and Pike saddled up, we all rode out into the forest. Abby and I decided to show Jay the clearing. I leaned my head back and smiled as we galloped through the forest. Enjoying the wind that rushed past my face and through my hair. It was over too soon as we breached the trees and made it into the clearing. I pulled on the reins, slowing Sterling to a stop. I looked around at the snowy landscape. The trees were powdered in thin blankets of fluffy white snow. The formerly grassy ground was now blanketed in fluffy thick snow that was purer than Weiss. Abby and Jamie stopped beside me. I looked down at Jamie. "This is Abby's and my favorite spot in the forest. We climb the trees in the spring and summer and during the winter we tend to throw the snow at each other." I said.

"So like a snowball fight?" Jamie asked.

I nodded, "Yes exactly like that." I said with a small smile. Then, there was a sudden splash of cold against my back which caused me to stiffen. I turned and saw Abby laughing. "Oh now you're going to get it." I said as I slid off Sterling and joined Abby in the snow. I quickly scooped up some snow and launched it at Abby, hitting her in the chest. Jamie joined in and we all threw snowballs, laughing and shouting until the sky turned dark.