Chapter 6: Nightmares and Self Confessions

(Abby's POV)

After the meeting, Ash seemed... strange. She was quiet, abnormally quiet and distant.

Well yeah she did just get attacked earlier by that creep.

I sighed and looked at her. She was sitting on her bed, playing with her dagger in a way that concerned me.

"Ash?" I asked.

"Hm?" Was all she said, not looking up at me.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She nodded, "Mhm."

She was lying and I knew it. I stood  up, walked over to her and took the dagger from her then set it on the night stand by her bed. She didn't even react. She just looked down and let her hand rest at her sides.

"Ash, look at me." I said.

She didn't, she just stared at her hands like they were the most interesting thing in the world. I sighed and sat on the edge of her bed. I placed a hand on her knee, "Please look at me."

She sighed and lifted her head slightly, looking at me through her eyelashes.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing... I'm fine."

"Ash please tell me the truth."

She sighed again then looked down and mumbled, "I can't figure out why you did it..."

"Did what?" I asked.

"Save me."

"Why wouldn't I have saved you?"

"Because I'm just a knight. Nothing about me is special. I'm just a pawn. Useless and replaceable. Especially because of what's  happened to me..." She said, whispering that last part.

"Ash--" I started.

"No..." She laughed sadly, "It's taunting me... The thought that someone actually cares about a mutt like me."

"What?"

She sighed again, "Nothing... I'm fine. This is just a wave... It'll pass.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

She nodded, and I gave her a hug. "And... For the record, you're not just some expendable knight. You're my knight." I whispered before pulling back and walking back to my bed. "Try to get some sleep, Ashlyn... You've had a long day." I said getting into bed. "Goodnight Ash."

"Goodnight..." I heard her say quietly before I blew out the candle on my night stand.

(Ash's POV)

I watched Abby blow out the candle, leaving us in eerie silence and the dark. I looked down.

Are we kidding ourselves?

I don't know. She didn't react badly to me.

Yeah but do you think she actually cares?

Maybe.

Maybe?

I don't know Ash.

I looked at abby.

Does she care?

I laid down and felt a twinge of pain where the mark on my neck was and I heard Ashton growl.

I'll kill that bastard, I swear.

No you won't.

He grumbled then went silent. I sighed, then tried to fall asleep. After laying there for about an hour, I finally fell asleep.