The next evening, I looked over at Charli in the passenger seat of my truck as she doubled checked her hair for what seemed like the millionth time. She had slept most of the flight back and had been so groggy when we did get here, I had just tugged the blackout drapes over my windows then set an alarm. She'd been freaking out over what to wear tonight. Spent twenty minutes agonizing over the clothes she had in her suitcase. I had finally pushed past her with just my jeans on and nudged her out of the way. I'd tried to ignore the warm feeling spreading through me when her arm brushed against my chest. I pulled a solid black tank top along with a pair of white linen shorts out of her bag and handed them to her before going to brush my teeth. She looked beautiful either way, so I wished she would just relax.

"Charli," I growled with a sigh as I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel as I headed down the highway taking me into Jefferson. "Would you stop fidgeting? You look fine."

"You want me to stop fidgeting?" Charli snapped glaring at me. "Have you been watching yourself Brantley? You look pale and like you are about to have a heart attack. I swear you smoked half a pack before we left."

"She's gonna love you," I assured her before shaking my head. "Me.....that woman is about to beat my ass. Don't think that at the age of thirty-three that I am too old. I know it's coming."

"You!" Charli said with a screech her breathing picking up. Uh oh. "I'm some nameless hussy you married and banged eight years ago, never heard from again until two weeks ago, photographed making out with you in Vegas, sober this time, had my engagement broken and then had to run to you for help. Yea, I am making such a wonderful impression on my mother-in-law."

"That right there is gonna go a long way darlin," I said reaching over to give her hand a reassuring squeeze. "You actually are worried about what she would think. The ex whom I even I want to beat, didn't even bother to get along with her. Mama always tries to see the best in people, but she was the first to admit she just couldn't with Jana."

"That fuckin bitch," Charli growled making me laugh as I pulled in Mama's driveway parking behind Kolby's truck. "If I ever give five minutes alone with her I'm gonna....ohhhh I don't even have words."

"I think beat her ass is what you are looking for," I said giving her a wink before climbing out of the truck to open her door. Charli glared at me because I was still laughing at her outburst when I helped her climb out.

"It's not funny," she grumbled kicking my leg lightly after she climbed out.

"Yes it is," I chuckled placing my hand on the small of her back as we walked up the driveway. "I'd pay money to see that. Hell darlin, I would give you a pair of my brass knuckles just for spite. Let you do some real damage. You know that nose it totally fake right."

Charli lost it laughing at the high pitched voice I used at the end making me grin. I paused at the first step onto the porch when I heard a throat clear. I had been lost in making Charli laugh that I forgot about the firing squad I was about to face. Looking up, I saw Mama standing there with her hands on her slim hips glaring me fiercely. Kolby, the ass, was standing behind her smirking at me. Charli stiffened beside me taking an unconscious step closer. I cleared my throat as I pasted a serene smile on my face.

"Mama," I drawled looking up at her. "You look beautiful as always."

"Well...." she said through bared teeth. "Look a here. It's my long lost first born."

"Mama," I said with a snort. "It's been two weeks."

"Seems a lot has happened in two weeks," Mama said glaring at me then pointed a finger at me. "I will deal with you in a minute."