Chapter Thirty-Four: Traditional Silence

~~~TWO MONTHS LATER~~~

While I admired Mycroft for putting some space between our little visits, I was getting tired of ending up in the back of the same black car. The door opened and John climbed inside, looking at me as he did so.

"Why can't he ever just phone like a normal person?" He asked.

"Because he's not a normal person. He's a Holmes, does this really surprise you?" I asked.

"Suppose not." 

The car came to a stop at a place called The Diogenes Club. We walked into a fancy room with crown molding and paneled walls, to find small tables, each with a man sitting at one reading the newspaper. John walked over to the one in the left hand corner.

"Uh, excuse me, I'm looking for Mycroft Holmes." The man glanced up at him, giving him a look that said he should stop talking. "Would you happen to know if he's around at all? Can you not hear me?" The man started breathing heavily. "Yes, alright. Anyone? Anyone at all know where Mycroft Holmes is, we've been asked to meet him here. No takers. Right. Am I invisible? Can you actually see me?" Two men dressed in suits, latex gloves, and booties over their shoes came in, touching my shoulder and lightly pushing me down the hallway. A few moments later, they dragged John past me, a hand pressed over his mouth.

What the heck, Mycroft?!

~~~

"Tradition, John. Our traditions define us." Mycroft explained, once we reached is office. John was rather irritated, understandably.

"So total silence is traditional, is it? you can't even say 'Pass the sugar?'."

"Three quarters of the diplomatic service and half the Government front bench all sharing one tea trolley? It's for the best, believe me. They don't want a repeat of 1972. But we can talk in here."

"What is this about, Mycroft?" I asked. 

"In a moment. Claudia, it is my understanding that you and my little brother have become...involved. One might even say you're his...girlfriend."

"You would be correct, however I know Sherlock didn't tell you that." I picked up the tabloid paper, holding it up. Mycroft nodded.

"You read this stuff?" John asked.

"Caught my eye. Saturday, they're doing a big expose." the paper read 'Sherlock Holmes: The Shocking Truth'.

"I'd love to know where she got her information." John stated.

"Someone called Brook. Recognize the name?"

"School friend maybe?" Mycroft laughed.

"Of Sherlock's? But that's not why I asked you both here." He picked up a stack of files, handing one of them to John. He opened the file revealing a picture.

"Who's that?" John asked.

"Don't know him?"

"No."

"Never seen his face before?" I shook my head.

"Um..."

"He's taken a flat in Backer Street, two doors down from you."

"Hmm. I was thinking of doing a drinks thing for the neighbors." John said sarcastically.

"Am I invited?" I asked.

"Of course, you make the best margaritas." I've never made a margarita in my life.

"I'm not sure you'll want to. Sulejmani. Albanian hit squad. Expertly trained killer, living less than twenty feet from your front door."