Chapter Twelve: Vatican Cameos

"Hello?" Her assistant answered. 

"Hi, um...I'm so sorry to bother you, but...my boyfriend was just attacked." I said shakily, "They took our wallets...and our phones, and um.,.they've punched him in the face. Please, could you help us?"

"I could phone the police if you want." Sherlock stepped in front of me.

"Thank you, thank you, um...would you mind if we just waited here? Just until they come?" He asked. "Thank you, thank you so much." I pressed a cloth to his cheek and he started crying. It was actually quite difficult not to laugh. John came in behind us.

"I saw the whole thing happen. Don't worry, I'm a Doctor. Now, have you got a first aid kit?" John asked.

"In the kitchen. Please." She took us to a fancy white guest room and led John to the kitchen. I looked around, holding Sherlock's coat in my lap. We heard the clicking of heels.

"Hello, sorry to hear that you've been hurt." We heard a voice say. I remember her voice. "I didn't think Kate caught your names."

"I'm so sorry I'm..." He trailed off and I looked up to see her standing in the doorway without a stitch of clothing on. I looked away immediately. I am so tired of naked people today.

"Oh, it's always hard to remember an alias when you've had a fright." She came over, straddling his lap, and I moved away from him, jealousy seeping up through my discomfort. I don't even know why. She took the cardboard out of his shirt collar.  "isn't it? Now we're both defrocked. Mr. Sherlock Holmes." 

Since when was he disguised as a vicar? Why didn't he tell me that before I said he was my boyfriend?

"Miss Adler, I presume."

"Look at those cheekbones. I could cut myself slapping that face. Would you like me to try?" She bit the card board.

"Right, this should do it." I turned around to see John coming in. He looked at the scene before him, then down at the bowl of water in his hands. "I've missed something, haven't I?" She removed the card board from her mouth.

"Please, sit down. Or if you'd like some tea, I can call the maid. Or Claudia, you surely remember how I like it, right?" I refused to look at her. "Still uncomfortable I see." She sat down, crossing her legs and covering herself with her arms. 

"I already had some. At the palace."

"Yes, I know." Irene stated. They looked at each other in silence.

"I had tea, too, at the Palace. If anyone's interested." John said awkwardly. Sherlock looked between the three of us, his eyebrows furrowed. I knew what the problem was. He can't deduce anything about her.

"Do you know what the big problem is with a disguise, Mr. Holmes?" She asked. "However hard you try, it's always a self-portrait. Right Claudia?" I didn't respond.

"You think I'm a vicar with a bleeding face?" He asked.

"No, I think you're damaged, Delusional, and believe in a high power. In your case, it's yourself.  And somebody loves you." She looked at me, and I looked at the floor. "If I had to punch that face, I'd avoid your nose and teeth too." Sherlock looked at me, making me even more uncomfortable. John laughed dryly.

"Could you put something on, please?" He asked. "Anything at all. A napkin?"

"Why? Are you feeling exposed?" She asked.

"I don't think John knows where to look." Sherlock stood up, going to offer her his coat.

"I think he knows exactly where to look. I don't know about you." He held it out to her, but I stopped him, standing up and removing my own coat, throwing it to her. I grabbed Sherlock's coat, putting it on and sitting down without another word.