Chapter Seven: Heroes

~~~Sherlock~~~

"Can't see how I can help you, Gentleman." Mr. Ewart, the owner of Janus Cars told us. 

"Mr. Monkford hired the car from you yesterday?" John asked.

"Yeah, lovely motor. Mazda RX8. WOouldn't mind one of them myself." I walked around his desk, standing beside him.

"Is that one?" I asked, pointing to the picture on the wall. He turned and I caught a look at his tan line.

"No, they're all Jags. I can see you're not a car man, eh?"

"But, uh, surely you could afford one. A Mazda, I mean." I told him.

"Yeah, that's a fair point. You know how it is. It's like working in a sweetshop. Once you start picking at the licorice Allsorts, when does it all stop?" I walked back over to the window.

"But you didn't know Mr. Monkford." John confiremd.

"No, he was just a client. Came in here and hired one of my cars. I've no idea what happened to him. Poor sod."

"Nice Holiday, Mr. Ewert?" I asked.

"Eh?"

"You've been away, haven't you?"

"OH, the..." He gestured to his face. "No, it's sun beds, I'm afraid, yeah. Too busy to get away. My wife would love it though, bit of sun."

"Have you got any change for the cigerette machine?" I questioned.

"What?"

"Well, I noticed one on the way in, and I haven't got any change. I'm gasping." I offered him some cash and he took out his wallet, opening it. I peered into it. Excellent. 

"No, sorry."

"Oh, well. Thank you very much for your time, Mr. Ewart. You've been very helpful. Come on John." I opened the door and we both walked out into the car garage.

"I've got some change if you still want to..." John started.

"Nicotine patches, remember? I'm doing well." I reminded him, putting my hands in my pockets.

"Well, what was that all about."

"I need to tlook inside his wallet."

"Why?" He inquired.

"Mr. Ewart's a Liar."

~~~

I was testing the blood from the car at Barts when the phone rang again. Claudia was calling.

"Hello."

"The clue's in the name. Janus Cars." She spat. Her emotionless voice and turned angry. She had just discovered something, I could tell.

"Why would you be giving me a clue?" I asked.

"Why does anyone do anything? Because I'm bored. We were made for each other Sherlock. All three of us." I knew it wasn't her words, but it felt rather strange hearing Claudia tell me that we were made for each other.

"Then talk to me in your own voice."

"Patience." Then the call dropped.

~~~

We met Lestrade at the car in Scottland Yard's parking garage.

"How much blood was on that seat, would you say?" I asked.

"How much, um...about a pint."

"Not about. Exactly a pint. That was their first mistake. The blood's definitely Ian Monkford's but it's been frozen." I explained.