Chapter Eleven: See But Do Not Observe

"I'll be mother." Mycroft said, as he poured the tea. I settled into the couch, feeling considerably more comfortable now that a clothed Sherlock Holmes was sitting beside me. I froze slightly as Sherlock's hand came down on the couch beside us, his pinky and ring finger coming down on top of my leg. The skin-to-skin contact made a feeling bubble up in my stomach that I hadn't felt in a long time. 

"And thee is a whole childhood in a nutshell." Sherlock muttered.

"My employer has a problem." Harry continued.

"A matter has come to light of an extremely delicate and potentially criminal nature and in this hour of need, dear brother, your name has arisen...along with Claudia's."

"Why? We have a police force of sorts, even a marginally secret service. Why come to us?"

"People do come to you for help, don't they, Mr. Holmes?"

"Not to date anyone with a navy." Sherlock replied. Fair enough.

"This is a matter of the highest security and therefore of trust. And Claudia, through her work with MI6, has experience with this particular subject." I cringed.

"You're kidding me." I looked between them. "They said I was done the last time."

"They were wrong." Mycroft stated. I shook my head.

"I do believe we have a time table." Harry stated.

"Right..." Mycroft opened his briefcase, retrieving a picture and handing it to Sherlock. "What do you know about this woman?"

"Nothing whatsoever." Mycroft waved a hand at me, urging me to explain. I sighed.

"Her name is Irene Adler. She has been at the center of two political scandals in the last year. She just ended the marriage of a novelist by having an affair with both of them.  She's professionally known as The Woman."

"How do you know her?" John asked. I sighed.

"Last year, MI6 recruited me to investigate her undercover. I was her assistant for six months to learn what i could about her, but she knew it was a set up so she told me nothing, and I wasted six months of my life. They told me that I wouldn't have to get involved again, but apparently, the British government is just as good at keeping their word as they are about trusting their own secret service." I said, scowling at Mycroft.

"Backtracking here...professionally?" John asked.

"There are many names for what she does. She prefers Dominatrix." I shook my head.

"Dominatrix." Sherlock repeated.

"Don't be alarmed. It's to do with sex."

"Sex doesn't alarm me." Sherlock stated.

"How would you know?"

"It does alarm me though, so if we could change the subject, that'd be lovely." I stated.

"These are from her website." They handed Sherlock some more pictures and I chose not to look at them.

"And I assume this Adler woman has some compromising photographs?" Sherlock asked. 

"You're very quick, Mr. Holmes." Harry stated. "Hardly a difficult deduction. Photographs of whom?"

"A person of significance to my employer. We'd prefer not to say any more at this time."

"You can't tell us anything?" John asked as Sherlock tossed the photos onto the table.

"I can tell you it's a young person. A young female person." Mycroft hinted.