4. The Change

All this was witnessed by Aman. He felt helpless. He wanted to stand by his sister but he could not go against his mother.

Avni entered the room and closed the door behind her. She slumped on her bed and sobbed.

***************

Avni adjusted her ID card and looked in the mirror. She took her bag and went downstairs. To her surprise she found no one in the hall. Madhavi informed her that everyone had left for their work.

Avni was in no mood to have her breakfast. She bid bye to Madhavi and left.

***************

Avni waved at Anjali and took her seat. Her seat was allotted in front of Anjali. Anjali looked at the tensed Avni.

Oye topper.. don't worry.. you are gonna do well.. Anjali tried to cheer her up. Avni smiled a bit at her and nodded.

Her main worry was her parents. They wouldn't be happy if she failed. Last night she couldn't concentrate much after the tiff.

Anjali noticed that something was definitely disturbing her. She wanted to see her friend smiling.

Vese Avni.. excited to sit with juhi?? Anjali teased her. Avni shot a glare at her.

Anju yaar! Who will be excited to sit with her? She will eat my head in the whole exam because like always she wouldn't have studied anything! Avni whined. Anjali laughed.

***************
After 5 years

Avni's sleep got disturbed due to alarm clock. She woke up lazily and threw the blanket aside. She walked to the washroom to get ready.

She got dressed in her school uniform and went downstairs to find no one as usual. She rolled her eyes and went to the kitchen to grab something.

She had many things on her list that day. She took her bag and left for school.

With time everything had changed. Avni had distanced herself from everyone. She always kept herself busy in her books or music which was her favourite hobby. She barely spoke to anyone in the house or school. She lost contact of Anjali too as she shifted to America. Her parents didn't treat her properly and Aman distanced himself from her.

***************

She walked towards the auditorium and saw the students discussing about the annual event. She tightened her grip on her bag as she felt nervous.

She walked to the makeup room where she met her group members. She smiled at them and started preparing for her performance.

***************

Soon the event started. Avni felt nervous. She was standing on the backstage waiting for her performance. Her eyes roamed through the auditorium to catch a glimpse of her parents. Sadness seeped into her eyes as she failed to find them.

Her eyes stuck at Madhavi as she spotted her in the auditorium. She felt content as someone was there for her.

She was lost in her thoughts when someone tapped her shoulder. She turned to the person confusingly.

Avni chal.. it's our performance now.. a student among her group spoke.  She realised everyone were taking their positions. She nodded and went.

Juhi's Pov.

This Avni.. Arghh!! I just fucking hate her! She always snatches my position.. As always she was selected as the head of the group and not me.. you will have to pay for this Avni Mehta!

We were taking our positions as the performance was about to start. I looked at Avni and an idea popped in my mind. I smirked.

Let's see Avni how you complete your performance!

End of juhi's Pov.

The dance had started. Madhavi smiled looking at Avni's performance. But her heart wasn't at peace. She felt something was going to happen. She prayed to God as she looked at Avni.

Avni twirled and changed her position with juhi. Juhi put her leg in between. Avni lost her balance but managed to steady herself. She felt a sharp pain in her ankle.

Barely few people in the auditorium noticed the mishap. Madhavi gasped seeing Avni. She could see Avni was in pain. But she completed her dance gracefully.

She quickly ran to the backstage as the performance was over. Avni sat on a chair with the help of her classmate.

Madhavi came running to her and examined her injury. She could see Avni was trying to hide her pain. She held her hand and looked at her.

It's ok baccha.. I will bring the first aid.. Madhavi spoke softly and went to search for first aid. Avni looked at Juhi smirking at her. She slowly walked to her.

How dare you Juhi! How could you do this.. I could have broke my ankle!! Avni yelled at her. Juhi laughed.

Oops! Someone is hurt.. this was for snatching my position Avni.. this is nothing as compared to what I felt that day when my position was given to you! Juhi shot back at her angrily. Avni closed her eyes in frustration.

Are you freaking nuts! What was my fault in that? Avni yelled at her. Juhi pushed her but Madhavi caught her on time.

Next time if you put your nose in my life I swear I will not leave you! Juhi yelled. Madhavi shot her a glare.

Juhi! You better leave or I will be forced to call the teachers and tell them about your deed.. Madhavi replied sternly. Juhi fumed and went.

Madhavi helped Avni to the makeup room and made her sit on the chair. She did her first aid and tied the crape bandage around the swollen ankle.

Just then a teacher came there. Avni looked at her.

What happened Avni? Is everything okay? The teacher spoke while looking at her injury. Avni nodded.

Yes mam.. just a little injury.. I am fine! Thank you.. Avni replied politely.

Take care child.. teacher replied and went. Madhavi helped Avni to the car.

She called the doctor on the way and took Avni home. Avni laid in her lap and held her hand.

Madhavi tai aap yaha kese? Avni asked as only parents were allowed. She caressed Avni's hair.

Arey baccha.. voh kya kehte hai.. guardian.. ha.. meri teri guardian hu na.. toh I can attend na.. Madhavi spoke with a smile. Avni smiled.

Arey ha.. I forgot! Vese aapne Juhi ki bolti bandh kar di aaj.. Avni winked at her while laughing. Madhavi looked at her. She wished she would always stay smiling. She came out of her thoughts when Avni shook her.

After all you are my child! How can I let someone harm you baccha.. Madhavi replied. Avni looked at her. She always yearned to hear this from her parents. She smiled at her.

Soon the doctor came and checked Avni. She prescribed her few medicines and advised her to take complete rest for one week.

You sit.. I will bring something for you.. Madhavi said and turned to leave but Avni stopped her.

No Madhavi tai.. I don't want to eat anything now.. I will take rest for sometime.. Avni said. Madhavi glared at her. Avni made her famous puppy face.

It's not going to work everytime.. I am bringing food for you! No excuses! Madhavi said and went downstairs. Avni smiled and shook her head.

She rested her head against the headboard and looked at the window. She was at peace that atleast her performance went well. Her thoughts drifted to Juhi. She didn't knew why Juhi never liked her.

*********************************

Here is the another chapter. Waiting for your lovely reviews!

Much love ❤️❤️