3. Bitter moments

Avni felt a little better after the 5 minutes convo with her dad. She closed her eyes and leaned against the bed trying to get some sleep.

***************

Avni and Anjali sat in the hall completing their homework. Just then Avni realised something.

Anju.. I want to show you something.. Avni said excitedly. She kept her books aside and ran upstairs.

Dumbo go slow! Anjali scolded her but Avni royally ignored her. She took the book from her room and ran downstairs. She didn't realise when she skipped a step. Her eyes widened and she screamed as she rolled down the stairs.

Anjali saw the scene and quickly ran to her. She took Avni's head in her lap and patted her cheeks. Her eyes welled up looking at her state.

Madhavi came there and saw Avni's forehead bleeding. She was in semi-conscious state. She helped Avni to the sofa.

Anjali took a cloth and pressed it on the wound. Meanwhile Madhavi called the doctor and then immediately called Ayesha.

Madhavi what happened? Ayesha asked her in irritation. She was in a meeting when Madhavi's call interrupted her.

Mam voh Avni Ko chot lag gayi hai.. she slipped from the staircase.. her condition is not good.. Madhavi tried to speak but Ayesha cut her off.

Then call the doctor.. I have told you right that don't call me in the office unless it's urgent.. take care of her.. saying this she cut the call. Madhavi looked at the phone in disbelief. She sighed and walked to Avni.

Soon the doctor came and checked her. She prescribed some medicines and gave to Madhavi. Madhavi looked at her in worry.

Don't worry she is completely fine.. wound is little deep but she will be fine.. I have dressed up her wounds.. I will leave now.. saying this doctor left.

Madhavi caressed Avni's hair. She assured Anjali that Avni was fine and asked her to go home. Anjali looked at Avni and then left.

Madhavi felt bad for Avni. Her parents never cared for the little child. She covered Avni with the quilt and left.

After sometime she came back with some sandwiches and juice. She saw Avni awake and kept the tray on the table. Avni smiled at her but Madhavi didn't look at her making her sigh.

Madhavi tai.. kab tak gussa rahoge ab maaf kar do na.. Avni tried to pacify her. She was always like her best friend.

Avni bacha.. what if something happened? I have told you so many times to take care of yourself but you don't listen to me! Madhavi sat besides her and caressed her hair. She was with Avni when she was 6 years old. She always treated her like her own child.

Sorry Madhavi tai.. I won't repeat this ever.. pakka! Avni said with a cute smile. Madhavi smiled at her.

***************

Aman slumped on the sofa tiredly. Madhavi gave him water. He thanked her and asked about Avni. Madhavi fed him about everything.

He quickly went upstairs to see Avni reading a book. He sat besides her with an annoyed expression.

Bhai before you say anything.. I am really sorry.. I didn't realise when I slipped.. I am not hurt.. see I am fine.. Avni spoke in one go. He raised his brow at her.

Acha.. what is this then.. he spoke while pointing towards the white bandage on her forehead. She held her ears making Aman sigh.

Leave all this.. now help with the project.. submission date is near.. Avni said. Aman nodded at her. He went to his room to get fresh.