SC: 28

Elian Dreyfuss
5:05 A.M
August 30, 2011

All throughout the night I was tossing and turning. Images of the events that took place two weeks ago haunted me. Each time I closed my eyes I could see a repeat of everything. It was as if the murder just took place the yesterday. Their blood stained my skin and the wrenching smell of flesh invaded my nostrils. I jump up out of my sleep for the third time tonight. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking. I look beside me seeing an empty spot in the bed. Cyrus has been disappearing in the night lately..

I toss the covers aside getting out of the bed. I walk into the hallway hearing nothing but silence throughout the house. I look over the railing seeing downstairs completely dark. I go down the stairs to get something to drink. I look at the front door seeing it locked. I look out of the window seeing the cars still in the driveway. I hated living in constant fear that I would be next. Cyrus seemed to be on the warpath and this wasn't what I was used to. I'm terrified that when he gets sick of me I'll be next to go.

I turn on the kitchen light going to the sink. I grab a glass putting some ice into the cup and running some water. I gulp down the water running some more when I was done. I often caught myself staring out into space for no reason. Guilt was eating away at me slowly. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep this secret with only us. I do know that speaking of it will end not only my life but Cyrus's as well. I can't be that selfish. I'm interrupted by the front door slamming causing me to drop my glass.

I quickly grab the broom and mop to clean up the mess being careful to watch where I step. Safe to say I am an emotional wreck. Cyrus rushes around the corner dropping a couple of bags he had in his hand. He crouched down next me picking up fragments of glass. " I got it, Cyrus. " I say waving him away.

" Are you okay? " He asks, standing to his feet. I don't reply to him as I throw away the glass. I walk past him to finish getting the rest as he grabs me. " Elian don't ignore me. Talk to me. Are you alright? "

" I'm fine I just need to clean up this mess. " I pull away cleaning up the rest of the glass and water.

" Did I scare you when I came in? " He asks.

" You did. " I reply tossing the ice into the sink.

" I'm sorry about that. " He says.

" You should be. " I retort, mopping the floor. He sighs going out onto the patio. I continue mopping stopping and looking at him sitting out there alone. I know I'm a little snippy but for good reason. Cyrus has been understanding and compassionate, but there is a lot I still haven't processed about him. Once I was finished in the kitchen I walk out back to join him on the patio. He sat on the chair smoking a cigarette. " Cyrus... " I call out to him as I walk closer. He doesn't respond as I sit. He blows out smoke still watching the sky as the sun begins to rise slowly.

" I apologize for snapping on you Cyrus. " I grab one of his hands rubbing it. " I'm just on edge about a lot. "

" it's fine I know what happened what easy for you. " He replies taking another inhale of his cigarette.

" That's just it! " I say dropping his hand. " How can you be so calm and normal about it. It doesn't affect you that your parents are gone? You're not sad in the least? "

" Not really, No. Elian despite what you may think I wasn't that close with them. They were missing from a huge portion of my life. After seeing their hateful ways, and my mother taking everything from me I was done. "

" I will admit I'm scared. I'm scared of the situation. I'm scared of us being caught. I'm scared of you... " I mumble the last part.

His head snaps to me. " Repeat that last part Elian. " He turns to the side of his chair facing me.