The Mayor continued staring down. Imogen climbed off the sofa and minced to him. Her bare feet were cold. She scooted in front of him and touched his shoulder.

"John, it is... awful. It's really, really bad. We are in trouble," she said quietly. He slowly lifted his eyes. A spark of surprise danced in the dark blue sea of gloom in his irises. "But it is what it is," she said firmly. "And at least we know now that it's coming. And we will do all we can to get out of it, or at least to minimise the damage."

He studied her face, and his features softened.

"You keep saying 'we,'" he said, and she smiled to him. But then he shook his head again. "I don't want to drag you down with me, Imogen. You should quit."

"I will do no such thing!"

Her knees were getting tired, and she moved closer and put her hand on his lap. He looked up at her again.

"Imogen, I can't let you—"

He lifted his hand and cupped her jaw. His palm was dry and pleasantly warm. It was such a strange evening! The confessions, his openness, him being at her place - and now his gestures were so intimate... She almost felt like she'd walked through the looking glass. On the other hand, it was just John! She'd known him for so long - and in the Biblical sense as well. Maybe, this new familiarity was unexpected - but hardly unfounded.

"I appreciate - always have appreciated - your loyalty," he said and gave her a sad smile. "But just because we're together—"

She pushed ahead, and - secretly shocked by her own boldness - she climbed onto his lap. His jaw slacked, and Imogen met his widened eyes with a direct gaze.

"I don't fancy being underestimated, John," she said haughtily. "Do you honestly think that I'd stick by you because of our relationship? These are two different things." For some inconceivable reason, Imogen decided her statement was to be illustrated - and lifted two fingers in front of his gorgeous long nose. "I am loyal, but I'm loyal to you as a public officer. I am the second in command in this city, and I am to blame for the current situation as well. And we will get through it together."

He was gawking at her; and it was her turn to cup his jaw.

"You're the captain of this ship and you'll never abandon it. But I am your First Mate. If we're to sink, we'll sink together."

His lips twitched; and she saw light return to the blue eyes.

"My Imogen," he murmured, and then leaned in to her lips.

Imogen had no objection to it whatsoever.

***

A few minutes later he sighed into the kiss and moved away.

"We need to get you to bed. You've had a shock tonight," he said.

Imogen nodded, and immediately yawned widely. As soon as she got warm - mostly due to the stimulation of being held and cared for by the Mayor - she felt exhausted and sleepy.

"I'll get dressed," she said, stifling another yawn. "And then we'll go to the mansion."

She climbed off his lap and plodded towards her bedroom.

"Imogen," the Mayor called after her, and she stuck her head from around the corner.

She considered pinching herself again. Even after confirming the Mayor's corporeality by the means of her backside coming into a tactile contact with his hard and scorching thigh through two layers of fabric - she still couldn't quite wrap her mind around John Oakby sitting in her Nana's chair. All of a sudden she fully perceived that he had become a part of her life - quoting Galavant 'for realsies.' Imogen's nose twitched in her usual nervous tick.

"Will you... stay with me when we go back to the mansion? I hardly sleep without you," the Mayor said quietly. 'For realsies,' indeed, Imogen thought. "It has been quite a mess, but I've been thinking for a while that we should just—"

Imogen held her breath, waiting for him to continue - but the Mayor froze, his lips softly parted. Apparently, he had trouble labelling their relationship.

Imogen blinked, and then womaned up.

"Date?" Imogen suggested.

"Thank you, Imogen," the Mayor habitually muttered with a nod - and they stared at each other.

It had been such a normal situation! He'd be looking for a word, or a concept would be escaping him - and he'd turn to her; and she'd help him out; and then he'd absent-mindedly express his gratitude.

And then the two of them laughed.

"You're welcome," she answered between giggles.

The Mayor got up from the chair in a swift fluid movement - Imogen swooned - and came up to her. He looked down at her, and Imogen's cheeks flushed.

"What would I do without you, Ms. Fox?" the Mayor rumbled, and Imogen's knees buckled.

Good Lord, the man flirted!

"You'd sleep properly," Imogen suggested, in her own gingerly attempt to flirt.

The Mayor hummed deep in his throat.

"But it surely wouldn't be worth it," he answered.

Imogen's lacking chest heaved.

"Go, get some clothes," he said, laughing wrinkles running in the corners of his eyes. "We can discuss my sleep in my bed. Quite appropriate place for it, I'd say."

"I haven't agreed on it yet," Imogen reminded him. And then she timidly hooked her finger on the collar of his jumper and pulled. "But you can try to convince me it'll be beneficial for both of us: I need comforting; and you've been so, so very worried for me."

The man started slowly bending, his eyes sparkling. Imogen suspected in a few seconds she'd be convinced.