1|The Midnight Express

The Midnight Express was crossing the southern station . Emily and her family boarded from there.

Smoke billowing from its chimney like that of an old pipe. It was black in color and like any steam engine train. The greatest mystery of it was that any being who didn't know to perform magic , couldn't see the train.
West end was the place it was currently passing.

It was an abandoned land where wild trees had grown turning it into a forest.

Emily was curious about everything around her. It all felt magical.

She was sitting alone in the train compartment where her family left her and then went to join the adult section of the train.
The train had bunks where children could sleep and also a lounge where children could hangout. All this made Emily excited and she looked forward to her new life and was eagerly waiting for it.

She was reading a story book when the door of her compartment opened . She was so engrossed in reading her book that she didn't notice it, but the bickering of voices outside got her attention.

Two blonde boys appeared . They looked identical and were quarrelling with each other. They stopped when they saw Emily , staring at them. The boys introduced themselves.

" I am Tim and this is my twin brother Jim ."

" I am Emily Harper , nice to meet you guys." Emily said softly.

" Did you know ...." Tim said and then Jim completed the rest of the sentence for him, " This train is driven by magic , its kind of like how in Great Gatsby no one knew who the host was."

" That's so cool!" Emily said eager to know more about this new magical world.

" We are so happy that we got admitted in this prestigious school. Megan will now never dare to tease us about magic!" They said simultaneously, excitement clearly visible in their voice.

" Who is Megan ?" Emily asked.

Tim replied casually ," She is our cousin from mothers side. She finds teasing us amusing and she has been teasing us for the past few years because of magic."

After that the conversion ceased.

Emily got engrossed in reading her book again and the twins started playing some kind of card game.

Suddenly shadows could be seen from the window. Emily was sitting beside the window and she was the first to see it. The boys looked when they heard Emily scream in panic. They looked bored seeing the shadow.

" That is the rumored Shadow hill or Ventura hill as it is called , the place where shadows reside. They appear once in a while . Its nothing to be afraid of. Legends say , that in Shadow hill there is a fire dragon which has been asleep for a thousand years under a curse and the shadows are guarding it." Jim said animatedly.

The train jerked and stopped as it was out of town station. Emily and the boys looked out of the window.
The station was deserted , a dim light lit in the station masters room. The place seemed spooky and more so, as it was night time.

A chill ran down Emily's spine. She had heard and seen in movies that in such places the hero or heroine encounter some kind of danger . She felt that , by agreeing to the offer letter , she had signed her death contract.

In a way Emily was right. Somehow she had signed her life to danger, and what awaited her in her new life was noting less than any fantasy in the form of her worst nightmare.

What do you think is going to happen ?
Don't forget to vote and comment !
Happy reading !