6 | the enigma returns

Start from the beginning

"Monday, please bring up my schedule," Ri shifted her laptop closer just as the asked for calendar popped open. One thing Pepper and her had managed to do together was to integrate Monday into their laptops. They were working on phones next, but it would be easier now that they'd had a bit of practice.

"May I remind you that Ms. Pepper's birthday is tomorrow. Have you gotten her a gift?"

"Yes, but Pep's going up to London to meet James so remind me to give it to her when she gets back," Ri absentmindedly updated her to do list. The completed tasks had long outgrown the pending ones and she felt a prickle of excitement when she clicked off a few more.

"Very well, Ms. Ri."

They'd barely gotten Monday to stop calling them by their last names but the ever-polite A.I. had settled on a compromise. Sure, they could just change her code and fix it manually, but somehow that felt a bit too intrusive so the girls had dropped the issue after that.

"Thanks, Monday."

There was a pause, then, "We have guests. A man has climbed onto the roof and is making his way here. Initiating Intruder Protocol." The fairy lights flickered off and the heater powered down.

Ri felt her heart drop down to her shoes. Her stomach gave a tight squeeze as a wave of nausea washed through her. She leaned over and snapped the lamp off. The darkness engulfed the balcony and she realized just how cold it had gotten. Grabbing her laptop, she scooted as far as she could into the corner. The oversized floor pillows hid her to an extent. Ri prayed it would be enough.

For a moment, there was no sound except crickets chirping down in the gardens below. An owl hooted in the distance and the trees rustled restlessly. Everything seemed louder than it normally was. Ri could hear students talking and laughing through the open windows below her.

Then, footsteps. Quick and scampering. The intruder got closer- or was she the intruder in this situation? She wasn't even meant to be up here. Oh god, what if someone found-

They landed on the roof with a loud bang! and Ri flinched. Pepper and her had painstakingly hauled everything piece by piece and constructed that bloody roof with so much effort and now someone was stomping all over it.

Not for long, though, because the intruder climbed down and swung himself into Club Monday, landing on his feet with a dull thud. It was definitely a he, judging by the broad shoulders and slim hips. She couldn't see his face from were she was hiding.

Ri held her breath. It felt strangely violating to have someone else find out about this place. Every part of her brain screamed at her, replaying the word wrong, wrong, wrong over and over in her head.

Please go away, go away, go away.

The intruder let out a whispered "...wow," and slowly spun around, taking in his surroundings. The moonlight illuminated his face and Ri realized, with a start, that the intruder was Minhyuk. Because of course it was. She didn't know whether to feel relieved or angry.