5: We've Got A Problem

*CHERYL'S PERSPECTIVE*
I woke up to a loud buzzing noise. I roll over and grab my phone to see what it was. I notice that Brett had text me, just like he does everyone morning.

b: i'm coming to pick you up at 8:30

Shit. I didn't want to get in his car knowing that later on in the day, i'd break up with him. Also, i couldn't face him on my own after what he did to me yesterday. I quickly type back.

c: i think i'm just going to walk today.

I knew he wouldn't like this but i didn't care.

b: what? why?

c: just thought i could do with some fresh air.

b: fine. suit yourself.

I let out a sigh of relief, i had him off my back for at least the next hour... until i was at school of course. I dreaded every morning of school but i dreaded today even more. For some reason, i felt guilty knowing that i was going to dump Brett when next i saw him. Snap out of it Cheryl. Toni told me that if i didn't do it then she would, and i'm pretty sure it would end a lot worse if she did. I was lucky to have someone like Toni in my life, we weren't friends but when i needed her she still had my back. That's someone i can't loose.

When i arrive at school, i creep round the side of the building to avoid seeing Brett and also hoping to find a side door. I turned the corner and i saw Toni stood against the wall on her phone.

"Toni?" i whisper, creeping closer to her.

"Cheryl? What are you doing and why are you whispering?" Toni asks whilst turning her phone off and putting it in her back pocket.

"I'm trying to avoid Brett, i even walked to school this morning." i reply.

"You can't keep avoiding him Cheryl, you'll end up seeing him at some point today."

I sigh. "You're right."

Toni reaches out her hand towards me and i hold onto it. "Come one, let's do this together. You're Cheryl Blossom you've got nothing to be afraid of"

"Thanks Toni, but i am afraid and rightfully so. He could kill me with his bare hands if he wanted to."

She shakes her head and leads me into the busy corridors of the school. We walk around for a while, looking for Brett, until i see him stood by his locker.

"There he is." Toni says.

My heart drops out of my chest, why am i so scared? Eventually, we make our way closer until i'm stood opposite him. Toni let's go of my hand and lets me speak.

"Hey Brett, can we umm... talk?" i stutter.

"Hey baby, who's this?" he replies.

"Toni, my best friend." i say back.

"Your best friend? But she's a serpent." Brett says, looking Toni up and down.

"So? That doesn't make a difference." i scoff.

"Whatever. What do you want to talk about?"

I felt my heart start thumping again. I glance at Toni and she gives me a warm, encouraging smile. "I think it would be best if we broke up." i say plainly.

Brett stays quiet for a moment, before laughing in my face. I look at him confused, but then he grabs me by my ear and pulls it close to his mouth.

"Do you really think you can break up with me? I don't think so." he whispers in an evil way.

"Get off her!" Toni shouts, pushing us both apart.

"Yeah? What you gonna, do you snake?" Brett shouts back. He gives her a shove and she stumbles backwards, but i catch her by her arm before she falls.

"She doesn't want to be your girlfriend anymore. Can't you accept that?" Toni screams.

Brett let's out a single laugh and shakes his head. He stands up straight and brushes himself down before shoving past me with his shoulders, causing me to fall to the ground.

"You haven't heard the last of me!" he shouts as he storms off into the distance. I sit there for a while, with tears running down my face, until Toni helps me up.

She pulls me in for a hug. "I am so sorry Cheryl." she says.

"It's not your fault, but... do you think he will come back?" i ask, trembly.

"I don't know. But i do know that i will protect you from him no matter what." Toni replies. She made me feel safe, just like the old times. But still, i couldn't help but feel sick to my stomach about what Brett could do to me.