Chapter 5: the plan

The journey back was kind of scary since all the peasants were boarding up the windows and gathering as much food as possible. What was even more disturbing was that the horse house was empty. He stopped caring if he was under an illusion or not himself. He misses Angela and he was even certain that they may suffer the same fate as the prince's final stand at his own encampment. There was no royal blood left as far as he can tell.

     The devil was enraged with the contract Joseph had signed. He told Joseph of the vast riches within that castles made all this worthwhile. The devil smirked and told Joseph that we were just going to ensure their doom during the assault so they can take their undeserved quarter. In fact, the devil's hatred towards God is unsurpassed except by greed.

      "I was lucky that we even got them to aid us in the first place with all these dark rumors floating around about death by armpit sacks," explained Joseph, "It is even more fortunate they were willing to give any support since the war was not exactly their field of expertise." The devil countered the argument with what could a mason possibly give in a siege other than rejected stones for the catapults they dreamed up of.

      The devil was clearly planning something devious that he did not want anybody but himself to know. Joseph was certain that he was in it for the gold. The devil did not seem to be worried about seizing the throne after all. Joseph could tell by the way he spoke and acted.

        He understood how predictable the outcome of this assault would be. The masons manning the catapults and charging their bravest alongside the demon army. The wall of fire would be triggered and everybody was going to die a horrible death. If only he had stayed Cipher long enough to learn black magic so he could direct the catapults to hit vital hexes placed on the walls. He was even expecting the devil to kill off the masons just to get the gold.

      After a private heated discussion that was not meant for Joseph in a tent ended, The General said that we had to move quickly, there is a rumor going around that God was up to no good as of late. They plan to take the shortcut through a bog in rough terrain to avoid the peasants based on the rumors they had heard. 

      Joseph had no idea what side he was on, helping and dealing with the devil is considered unorthodox. Going against a black mage was more than risky and dragging more people into it was certain doom if the rumors were true. He could try going back to god, but he seriously doubts that he would be able to get a good rank. Perhaps he could drag some gold with him and forget about the kingdoms that rule the place with a nice lady.

      Interrupted by other members of the devil's militia, planning to regroup in the bog with the masons who will bring cartloads of supplies to construct the catapults. They were determined to end his tyranny of misguidance for what he did. So quickly did they ready themselves for the main assault. The devil was sending in two groups. God cannot possibly burn all of them if they went in waves. The first group's job was to deceive God by taking the obvious route the castle. The second group was to ensure that when all the traps god had was sprung, the could breach heavens gate. The catapults will try to damage the castle walls enough so that the hexes no longer functioned to unveil the true image of gods kingdom. 

      Everything was going well, the first group left early because the obvious route was the longest route. They were not told about the suicide mission they had. Morale was stable, some people believed it would flop like any other attempt. That is when unexpectedly the necklace started to glow and something came out of it. The individual was saintlike in a way she acted, speaking a language that was alien to them. Something made her different enough that the illusion treated her as a ghoul.

        The devil looked at the necklace with a sort of lust for it. He resisted the urge to grab it for it since it was made out of divine materials. He grabbed his trident to intimidate the ghoul. Apparently, she had no interest in discovering what would happen if she stuck around for too long. She ran away basically with nobody caring enough to go after her. Joseph was part of the second group by luck. The last thought he had was what of Angela?