"Aleck!" She felt the heat of someone at her back and turned. Elon. "We have to go back. Viltus' house—"

"All is well, Carissa."

She folded her arms. "You could have stopped it from happening, couldn't you?"

He smiled—not the response she'd been hoping for. "I could. Let's just say Viltus will be significantly more motivated to help the Iver project if he receives lodging in return." Elon handed the reins of his horse to a servant and strode inside.

Carissa followed, then slowed, the tap of her footsteps echoing through the polished hallway. On her way into the embassy, she'd been in too much pain to appreciate its beauty. On her way out, she'd been too preoccupied with how she would kill Akasha.

Potted plants filled the gaps between marble pillars. Their leafy fronds arced toward passers-by, and the vases, which cocooned the plant, were as shiny and plump as golden apples. The smell of fresh wax and kitchen spices warmed the air.

A few servants paused their work to bow or curtsey. She glanced behind herself to see who they were showing deference to, until she realized they were facing her. Even though she was in common garb, it seemed they'd recognized her.

Elon turned a corner, and Carissa stormed after him—she wasn't done with their conversation—until she nearly knocked over a petite girl. The girl gasped as she clutched a silver pitcher to her chest, the water within nearly slopping over.

"Excuse me." Carissa darted past her and caught up with Elon. "You said Elisa would convince him—not his burning house."

"Elisa was, indeed, a factor, but not the only factor."

They passed a vase, set on a table and brimming with the bluest water. Colorful flashes of light dashed back and forth within. Carissa slowed. Fish, but not the big, dull fish she'd seen in lakes. They were so tiny and colorful she was half convinced a fairy had scooped a few teaspoons out of a rainbow to form them.

She felt the heat of Elon's gaze and glanced at him.

Though his lips were barely lifted, his eyes communicated his amusement in a way his mouth never could. "If you find the embassy so impressive, I look forward to showing you the palace." He curled a lock of hair behind her ear before continuing to stride down the hallway.

She kept pace with him. "Where are we going?"

"To ensure everything has been packed and prepared for the trip."

"Aleck is coming?"

Elon paused to allow a servant carrying a platter of food to pass. "Yes. He's going to meet his uncle at the palace."

Carissa curled her fingers around the fabric of his sleeve. "His uncle? Aleck would never agree to meet him. He told me his uncle sold him."

"Upon meeting him, perhaps Aleck will change his mind." Elon turned left, crossing underneath an archway.

She released his sleeve. "Does Aleck know?"

"He doesn't."

"Elon, you can't just foist this situation upon him."

He glanced over his shoulder, eyebrow raised. "Can't I? I have foresight, Carissa, and I know what's best."

She tossed her gaze to the ground, lest he see the anger in her gaze. This was what frustrated her about Elon: he always assumed he knew best. What if some people wanted to take their destiny into their own hands?

Elon clasped her arms, and she came to a halt. If he hadn't, she would have run into him. "I'm not forcing this upon him, Carissa. Merely giving him an opportunity." He released her, disappointment softening his gaze. "I wish you would trust me."