Pain

Pain

Maria was not woken the next morning until ten minutes before she had to leave, a small knock at the door announced someone's presence and had Maria's eyes opening in a panic as she realised just how much sunlight was pouring into the room.

"Yes! I'm coming!" Maria said scrambling from the sheets and bolting to the door, when she opened it she was faced with a kind young faced maid.

"Tick tock" Rosie scolded lightly a huge grin making it's way across her face.

"Since when do you work mornings?" Maria asked yawning loudly as she slumped on the door frame staring at the bubbly girl before her bleary eyed.

"Oh since your parents went on a month long trip and left me as the only maid on duty so you could have some personal space" she chirped a mischievous grin spreading across my face.

"You're going to school though right?" Maria questioned walking back inside her room and to her wardrobe where she sifted through her clothes.

"Nope, I'm going to stay here"

"But, what about school?" Maria asked "you're only eighteen right?"

"Right" she confirmed "I graduated early" she said her voice wavering slightly causing Maria to twist her head around to look at the girl she had become so fond of.

"Roise" she spoke softly her voice taking on a hard edge as her crystal blue eyes met Rosie's green ones that were filled with tears "did I say something wrong? I'm so sorry!" Maria exclaimed moving forwards to comfort the distressed girl.

"No it's fine, it's just you come from such a high class family and I really like you, I didn't want you to think poorly of me"

"You do realise that I didn't choose to be born here and you are literally the closest thing to a friend I have" other than Dimitri "Besides we all have our secrets" like kissing your teacher Maria forced a smile and pushed thoughts of her teacher to the back of her mind.

"I have a baby!" she exclaimed her cheeks growing pink with embarrassment at her outburst, Rosie's eyes slid the floor and her shoulders began to shake, in fear of Maria's retaliation.

"Boy or girl?" Maria questioned

"Boy, Lucas"

"Where is he?"

"Babysitter"

"Go and bring him here then, You  guys can stay here until my parents come back, I don't mind" Maria spoke softly drawing the girl into her arms as she squealed happily and gripped Maria tightly spinning them both around the room.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You need to get ready for school! Put some clothes on, I'll drop you off" Rosie screamed bounding from the room causing Maria to laugh at her disappearing figure, Maria stripped down to her underwear and grimaced at the hand shaped bruises covering her body, pulling on a pair of jeans, a pair of boots a plain blue shirt and leather jacket before bolting down the stairs her bag in tow. She jumped into Rosie's slightly beaten up car cheeks flushed and panting slightly.

"I have never been late before" Maria gasped struggling to fill her lungs with air.

"Wait, what?" Rosie questioned "you've never been late to school before?"

"I've never been late to anything in my life." Maria spoke seriously a scowl crossing her face at the astonished look she was receiving from the blonde. Rosie didn't respond, instead a small smile crossed her face as she shoved the key into the ignition and began to roll down the driveway. Maria relaxed back into the seat and fiddled with the radio stations until she came across one playing music she didn't recognise.

"I love this song!" Rosie cried spinning the volume nozzle so that the music shook the car. She screamed at the top of her lungs to the lyrics and Maria couldn't help but laugh at the girl, she caught onto the chorus of the song quickly and belted the lyrics out alongside Rosie, a heavy weight lifting from her chest as she did so.

"Oh dear god, no" Rosie groaned slamming her palms againt the steering wheel as the car sputtered and rolled to a complete stop.

"Please tell me that your car did not just die" Maria whispered in horror, anxiety clawing up her throat

"I'd be lying if I told you that" Rosie whispered her green eyes wide with panic.

Maria climbed out of the car and tossed Rosie her phone "here take this, call the towing company, my parents own it, so use my name" she said panicking, they were too far into town now for her to cut through the forest, but she was still at least a twenty minute walk from the school.

"Wait!" Rosie cried scrambling from the car seat "where are you going?" Maria paused long enough to take in Rosie's flushed and frazzled appearance

"I've already told you, I've never been late a day in my life." Maria grinned her ocean blue eyes twinkling as she sent a confident wink in Rosie's direction

"but, school starts in five minutes"

"I'm quick" Maria grinned before she turned and began to sprint towards the school, cursing herself from not tying her hair back as the wind blew up from behind her and sent her hair flying into her face as she sprinted down the main street of the town her heart hammering in her chest at the thought of being late when a horn sounded to her side causing her to still in panic, the sound of screeching tires and burning rubber invaded her senses, as she watched wide eyes as a van jumped the curb and came hurtling towards her. Pain tore through Maria's body before the world went black

Dimitri paced back and forth inside the classroom in agitation, class had been running for ten minutes and there was still no sign of Maria, it was driving him nuts, he balled his hands into fists and clenched his teeth. The class chatted to one another, not at all bothered by the lack of instruction he had given them. Where was she? In the short time he had known her, she had been on time for everything, she was either early or walked through the door to the exact second.

"Stay in class. I'll be back" he growled storming from the classroom not caring how abnormal his actions may have seemed to rowdy teenagers. Dimitri stormed down the hallway as fast as his legs would carry him, his nose in the air, desperately trying to catch Maria's scent within the school halls. He pulled at his hair in frustration when he was unable to pull her scent from the scent of teenage hormones and strong perfume. Sprinting from the building, he headed towards the forest deciding he would rather rely on his animal instincts to find her. Dimitri barely even felt his clothes tearing from his body as he shifted into his wolf and concentrated on the thought of Maria, sifting through the scents of every person in this town before finally he caught onto the odd mutilated scent that could only belong to once person.

Maria.

He followed the trail, moving as fast as he possibly could as the scent got stronger and stronger, he noticed something about her scent that made his pace quicken even further, his heart pumping with the possibility of what it could be. He reached the road, to find it deserted, Maria's scent grew stronger and stronger and he stepped out into the open no longer caring who saw him, he followed her strong scent until it cut off at a pool or warm, fresh, sticky blood.

Maria groaned at the pain pulsating through her body, her throat was dry and scratchy and her eyes felt as if they'd glued themselves up.

"Oh, look. Sleeping beauties spell has been broken."