Tears

~Tears~

Maria sat at the lunch table in the corner of the cafeteria alone her legs were folded underneath her and she kept her head bowed feigning interest in the blueberry muffin that she still hadn't eaten. Her table was the furthest away from the middle, shoved against one of the walls like an after thought, no one paid her any attention and she didn't take much notice in the rowdy teenagers around her either. She despised them for complaining about their purely perfect lives, she would give anything to have a real family even if it meant losing anything. Maria sighed in disdain and tilted her head back letting the sun that was trying to push through the clouds wash against her face she glanced towards the popular table that seemed to have been taken from the most cliche' movie and dropped smack in the middle of her school.

Sighing in aggravation she tore her muffin into tiny pieces, she simply disliked everyone because they take everything they have for granted, they didn't seem like the type of people she'd ever want to try and get close to, she didn't want to listen to them complain about their families and how they are just ruining their lives.

Maria shifted moving her legs out from underneath her and wiggled her toes in an attempt to try and get the blood to start flowing through them again, climbing to her feet slowly she was all too aware of the stares of the other students that made her uneasy, she reached down slowly to grip the soft fabric of her back before slinging it over her shoulders trying not to shudder away from the eyes that felt like they were burning though her skull as if it was some kind of dare turn around Maria Jones, come play.

She ignored the so called taunts and fled from the building in a similar way a mouse does when the lights are turned on in the kitchen, she could hear them though whispering as she went past,

"Isn't that the Jones' daughter?"

"My dad wants me to try and be friends with her - but, I don't know she just seems.."

"Isn't she sick? I heard she collapsed in class one time"

Maria flinched at the mention of her collapse, she hadn't been sick at all, it was simply another one of her fathers methods.

Maria  at the meager age of fifteen snuck into the kitchen creeping along the tiles with practiced silence reaching the cupboard she pulled down the bag of junk food and her stomach growled in anticipation at the sight. Before she even had a chance to put a sweet delicacy in her mouth the door was slammed shut.

"What, do you think you're doing? You fat, little pig" her father shouted a vein in his throat building in anger.

"I'm, sorry - It's nothing I was just so hungry and dinner is so far away" she tried to explain her heart thumping erratically in her chest knowing that no matter what she said it would be no use

"Liar' he breathed angrily his eyes rolling like a angry bull. Tearing the bag from her tight grip he hit her once, twice, three times in the stomach as if punishing it for devouring food. Squealing in pain Maria tried to wrench herself away only to be grabbed by the back of her throat in nothing less than agonising and had him spit in her face

"For that, you won't eat for a week" he snarled

And, she didn't, Maria didn't eat for an entire week and that was the reason she had collapsed in class from sheer starvation.  Storming down the hallway Maria could feel the tears dripping down her face in frustration all of her careful practiced control slipping like a figure skater on ice. Sobbing she hurried down  the hallway wiping furiously as the unstoppable stream of tears as she went.

Dimitri sauntered down the hallway his combat boots clanking heavily on the concrete floor, his ears perked up instantly listening into the sound of shuffling feet and light sobbing. His wolf perked up instantly in a way he'd never done before letting Dimitri exactly who it was, as Maria rounded the corner her bag slung carelessly over shoulder and her folder hanging loosely from her arm Dimitri's confident step faltered as he took the hair that seemed to plaster where ever her silvery tears trekked. She continued to run not even noticing that he was standing in the hallway his eyes darkening so that the flecks completely disappeared.

"Hey" he said softly as she crashed hard into his chest causing his arms to wrap around her instinctively.

"Sorry" she said thickly her voice clogged from the crying.

"It's fine, are you alright?" he asked knowing what the answer was.

"I'm fine" Maria lied refusing to look at him.

"Come with me" Dimitri ordered huskily gripping her hand tightly and dragging her to the latin classroom.

"Qui hoc ego interficiam te" (I'll kill who did this to you!) Dimitri snarled under his breath as the door closed behind them and he embraced her frail form knowing it was safe to do so out of the prying eyes of teachers and students.

Maria's heart was beating against her chest in a way she thought was only caused by fear but it wasn't what she was feeling as she was pressed into her teachers warm solid chest, raising her arms hesitantly she returned the hug and the comfort of it didn't seem to stop the flow  of tears instead it made it worse. Much worse.

"Hush, it's alright" the overly masculine man crooned gently stroking her hair "mea dulcis" (my sweet)

The two words pronounced in a thick Latin accent made Maria open her eyes in panic. What was she doing?

"This is one of his tests, isn't it?" she accused pulling herself away from him tears turning to anger "he sucked you in just like everyone else. How could I be so stupid" Cursing under her breath she scooped up her things and walked from the room stiffly.

 -   -   -

I know it's short, but I wanted to get something to you and I've been at school and working all day after just getting my laptop back so this is the best I could do for now.

I'll upload again ASAP

99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED