7. Heartbeat of History

All wrong.

You had been a fool, an arrogant idiot to even consider that you could dare challenge Nightmare. Not with your numbers, not with your meager excuse of an army, not even with your newfound powers or with Error on your side. Ink's disappearance had created an unfillable hole in the multiverse, one that none could fill. You weren't sure if the painter was dead, no one knew that for sure, but why would Nightmare keep Ink alive? There was no purpose in doing that.

"We're all going to die," you whispered one night to no one in particular, sitting by yourself as your group pitched camp and called it a day. There was no time in the Void for no sun or stars existed to dictate the passing of time, but you and the others still tired and needed sleep, so whenever the familiar sensation of fatigue crept, that was when it was deemed time to rest and sleep.

"You got that right." Error took a seat next to you, watching in blank amusement as G and Fresh clashed over the fact that the letter G was not the sixth or eighth letter of the alphabet but rather the seventh. Seeing the two of them argue left a queer feeling inside of you, seeing how empty and few your numbers were often Omega and Abyss had died. Omega had been one of the strongest, having absorbed the powers of the human souls from wherever timeline he came from. And yet he had been the weakest, falling not in battle but rather by the false words spoken from the tongue of a demon.

"At least you'll finally get what you want," you chuckled darkly, not bothering to dismiss the comedian. He was the only one that seemed to retain any sense of humour. Fresh was too ecstatic in your own opinion, Geno was always down in the dumps and G had taken up to a habit of smoking cancer sticks, which made your eyes burn any time you were within a five foot raidus from him. "We'll kill each other trying to fight over the multiverse and maybe there won't be any one who emerges victorious. Maybe there will be nothing."

"If only," Error sighed, seeming to actually enjoy the idea. But there was also a hint of panic in his eyes at the thought of being the only one in existence, the only setinent and living creature in the world of the dead. It had been Error's campaign slogan from his first day in the Void, how much better things would be if there was nothing, only quiet and nothing more. But that reality felt suddenly closer and the prospect of it seemed maddening.

But he did not discuss this with you and there was some mutual agreement between the two of you to not discuss personal thoughts or opinions. It seemed that every time either of you tried to do so, it usually ended with one or the other being brutally beaten and attacked.

"How much farther until we find Nightmare?" you wondered aloud, looking at Error. "We can't keep wandering around the Void forever, not if those hate things are combing the place. If anymore of us die, there won't be any chance at all of stopping Nightmare."

"Do I look like Google Maps to you?" Error spat, looking rather offended. "I'm sorry if I don't know how to pinpoint someone's exact location in the Void, a place with literally no north or south and no beginning middle and end. That makes it hard to find your way around, you know."

Nightmare will probably be the one to find us, you thought darkly. Your eyes flickered to the red glasses that portruded from Error's pocket, wondering why he had never thrown them away after all this time. What could be so important about a pair of glasses?

"Well if we have nothing better to do..." you started, an idea slowly coming to mind. "Then you should teach me how to knit."

"Knit?" Error looked baffled and even disgusted. "I don't think you have the intellect for it. Plus we're all going to die brutal and painful deaths when Nightmare hunts us down, so it's a waste of time if we're all going to be corpses by the end of the week."