Not only that, he absolutely adored her.

Thus, he had been delighted when he learned that he was going to be the one tasked with the responsibility of protecting the Hyūga clan heir.

He knew that he would do anything in his power to keep her safe.

However, before that, he would have to make sure he had the power to do so.

That was why, at the age of three, Neji had innocently asked his father one question which would lead to the beginning of his journey.

"Tou-san? Can you train me?"

A surprised Hizashi had agreed.

Though it was mostly because he had nodded almost reflexively when Neji asked him for something, considering how the child had few requests and none of them unreasonable, he had unwittingly agreed to train his son in the ways of the shinobi. It was a little early, he felt, but it was fine. After all, he could not possibly take it back when Neji looked so happy that he would be able to start training and become stronger.

~

"Hina-chan!"

"Neji-nii-san!"

The two children exclaimed at the same time as they made eye contact.

Giggling, little Hinata ran up to her older cousin to give him a friendly hug. The two were close. Incredibly so. In fact, they were closer than actual siblings tend to be. Neji was dedicated to his role of being the Hyūga heiress' protector, while Hinata adored the one she called her older brother and looked up to him as her role model.

Hinata had yet to start her shinobi training, but that was normal. She was only three, after all. It was the fact that Neji had already started his training slightly over two years ago that was abnormal. However, the little indigo haired girl had insisted on learning the shinobi ways and her father was already on the very verge of giving in to his dear daughter's whims. The little girl was honestly too adorable for her own good, after all. It was far too difficult for her poor father to refuse her. At the moment, she just had to settle for watching Neji train diligently under the tutelage of her uncle. She had not understood that the older boy was training to be able to protect her yet, but she knew that she wanted to be good enough for Neji-nii-san to be proud of her.

Neji had noticed this and would always tell her that he was proud of her anyway. Hinata always was an intelligent child. There was no reason for Neji to not be proud to have her as his young mistress to protect and serve with his life. He had been born into that role, marked with the seal of the branch family before his first birthday.

She was a delightful child, one that quickly grasped whatever he told her. Every time he saw her smiling face, he felt the need to grow stronger burn within him. Hinata saw him not as a servant, but as an older brother. It was heartening for him to know the one he would serve to be someone who would appreciate him and accept him as a person.

He aspired to have a relationship with Hinata like his father did with uncle Hizashi.

"I hope you have been well," Neji spoke to his dear cousin, a smile on his face as he patted her head gently.

"Otou-sama told me that I can finally start learning about the human body!" Hinata exclaimed, bouncing on the balls of her feet in her excitement.

Neji blinked, more in surprise than anything else.

"The human body?" he echoed, confused.