Chapter: Memories

Start from the beginning

"You're not going anywhere," Saleh growled before reaching for Athena. Athena slipped out of the older man's grip and looked at him in disbelief.

"I used your address but that doesn't mean you can touch me, sir," Athena frowned. 

"Young lady, where do you have to be?" Huda asked kindly as she placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. 

"School. I have to go to school," Athena answered honestly. 

"I tell you what, you seem like an honest young lady. Why don't you stop by after school and tell us why you used our address? We won't ask too many questions, but for now you can go," Huda suggested. 

"Huda! That's ridiculous!" Saleh roared. 

"It's reasonable. I won't take a young woman away from her education, Saleh. That's not what our religion preaches," Huda reminded her spouse.

"O-oh Allah increase my knowledge," Athena stammered and found both pairs of eyes focused on her.

"What did you say?" Saleh asked in surprise. 

"I-I-," Athena stammered and gulped before whispering, "I'm Muslim too." Huda looked at Athena in thought while Saleh looked as if his head was about to explode from this new revelation. After a few moments of deliberation, Huda finally spoke up. 

"Will you honor our deal then, Athena?" Huda asked as she glanced at her own watch. 

"Yes, ma'am. I swear I'll be here right after school," Iman nodded.

"How can you trust her, Huda? How can you be so naive? She'll run away," Saleh growled.

"Sometimes, Saleh, you just have to have faith," Huda smiled and patted Athena on her back before sending her on her way. 

******

Iman sighed as she thought of Huda and Saleh again. Their first meeting with one another was anything but pleasant, but in time they became very important to her. Before she could dwell on her encounter with the couple any further, she heard Khadijah's voice in the distance. 

          It had been a few weeks since they had heard the recording Sam had played at the Hashemi residence and it seemed that Khadijah was relieved to hear her father's voice. She had adjusted beautifully to her new school, promptly taking care of any bullies that had any ideas of harassing her. It was as if the young woman was blossoming even more in front of Iman.

"Mama, snap out of it," Khadijah chuckled as she patted her mother's cheeks. Iman smiled and pulled Khadijah into her arms, giving her a powerful embrace.

"I can't help staring at you. My daughter is growing into such a beautiful young woman and I don't know where the time's gone," Iman admitted before pressing a kiss against Khadijah's forehead. 

"Baba used to do that," Khadijah smiled as she recalled the gesture fondly. Dawood always had a habit of kissing them on their foreheads. Iman picked up the habit in an effort to connect her children with their father even if he wasn't there with them. 

"Yes, well now I'm doing it. Do you have your permit?" Iman asked and smiled as Khadijah brandished her driving permit with a flourish. "Oh, my baby is driving now. Where has the time gone?